I believe America is a place where no one should feel excluded. Let’s start this off with a story. So when I was younger I switched schools going, from a local Montessori to the public school. The one question asked to me repeatedly was not “What’s your name?” like you’d expect. But “Where are you from?” Of course, I’d answer “I’m from just down the street, I just transferred over from the Montessori.” Of course, the next question would always be “No, where you REALLY from.” Even the kids clearly did not accept the fact that I could have come from a predominantly white area. They expected I was from Asia or from some country that they had never heard of. Those sorts of comments followed me through the elementary school and even now I see those comments around me. “Comments like your English is so good!” and “Can you teach me some Chinese?” show that people clearly expect me to fit into a stereotype just based on my skin color.

I don’t have to fit into whatever box you want me to fit into. I can be my own person. I don’t have to do what the stereotype forces me to do and even if I do fall into the stereotype, not everyone does. You just assume that everyone will do what you want, will fit into a box that you have cut out. That’s not how the world works. That’s not how the world should work and we should change that. We need to be able to move past these things. And it’s not always just about race. This happens all the people to people of other minorities and other groups. They also feel these on a daily basis. They are completely they’re also overridden, ignored, and looked past just because they don’t fit the narrative that the dominant culture wants to paint for their minority. Just because someone doesn’t fit into the box doesn’t mean they should have to.

A lot of people dismiss these sorts of comments as microaggressions, but that dismissal is part of the problem. These are symptoms of underlying stereotypes and racism that has never been fixed. These comments and these other experiences show that I will never be truly American.I’ll always be Chinese-American or Asian-American. Anyone who is not white will always be a hyphen-American. That hyphen follows me and people like me throughout the rest of our lives. It’s imprinted into our skin just so much as any tattoo. We will always be discriminated against. We will always be expected to fit into some box that society has set out for us. America is and has always been a culture of white people. Anyone who doesn’t fit that narrative, who doesn’t fit that definition of white, or doesn’t fit the definition of what a white culture thinks that they should be, will always be a second class citizen. I believe America is a place where no one should feel excluded from the greater culture just because they’re not white. Or to be expected to fit the definition of what is right for whatever minority they are. This is something we need to address. We need to be able to look past these boxes that we have set out. We need able to look past this. We need to be able to make the world better. This is what I believe. I believe that we as a country, as a culture can move past this. We can look past putting labels on people, forcing people to fit into boxes. We can do better than this America. Why have we not moved? Why can we not do better we should. Being the best country in the world means that we should be able to look past things like this. We shouldn’t expect people to just fit into boxes. We should make the country and the world better. Let’s start now. Let’s change the world.

I believe America is a place where no one should feel excluded from the greater culture just because they’re not white. Or to be expected to fit the definition of what is right for whatever minority they are. This is something we need to address. We need to be able to look past these boxes that we have set out. We need able to look past this. We need to be able to make the world better. This is what I believe. I believe that we as a country, as a culture can move past this. We can look past putting labels on people, forcing people to fit into boxes. We can do better than this America. Why have we not moved? Why can we not do better we should. Being the best country in the world means that we should be able to look past things like this. We shouldn’t expect people to just fit into boxes. We should make the country and the world better. Let’s start now. Let’s change the world.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Hidden Agressions by Eric is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kaha 7 months ago

I can relate to this. I am not from America & i get almost the same comments. Its petty tough when you don’t feel like your’e not welcome just because were not American, or our culture, language, and dress is different from the majority people around us.

2. Marcus 7 months ago

Those type of aggression are the worst, where you can not feel welcome because you can tell that people will attack you still.
    I am not from the U.S., and sometimes I totally feel this aggression situation, not fun at all.

3. Quan 8 months ago

you are undoubtedly right the line you said in the last paragraph was powerful.”I believe America is a place where no one should feel excluded from the greater culture just because they’re not white.” America is a big melting pot with so many cultures so others should excluded anybody because America cultures is based on diversity.