I believe that people should follow their own beliefs and not let peer pressure persuade that. I feel that people should do what they think is right and be strong when expressing their beliefs. In today’s society, people tend to accept the common opinion and sway away from their own mostly because of peer pressure. It is really interesting when people get into a discussion and quickly agree with the person without expressing their own.

I have first-hand experience with this where in my classes when we take a vote, people will wait for others to vote and then follow them. I have a clear memory of this where I was in my Lit/Comp 10 class, we were taking an in-class survey where we go to one side of the room if we agree and the other side if we disagree. For each question, the majority of the class would always choose one side and a few others, maybe 1 or 2 would be on the other side. I could notice that when the teacher asked the question, some people would scan the room to see where the “group” was going and would follow them. This bothers me because they aren’t voting for what they think but rather are voting for what others think.

An example of this on a bigger scale was during the presidential election this year, Donald Trump was a candidate that many people hated because of his attitude and beliefs. Many people didn’t like him because of this reason but also a decent majority of people were against him because that was the “popular” decision and they didn’t want to be shamed in supporting him.

I wish that we could live in a society where people wouldn’t judge other people’s opinions and beliefs in a disrespectful manner but it’s embedded in our minds because we have been influenced by it on a regular basis. The one way to move our society in the right direction is by supporting our beliefs and opinions with facts and evidence to show people that we have a point.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 Don’t Let Peer Pressure Persuade your Opinions and Beliefs by Tuan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Paul 6 months ago

I completely agree with you. It is important that people have their own beliefs and stick to them if they believe they are right, and that they don’t cave and give in to people around them who disagree with them. It is important that people form their own opinions based on their own intellectual analysis of any particular issue and that they stay true to themselves and to their beliefs and not abandon their beliefs because theirs other people around them who disagree with them. It is important that people always have their their own opinions and don’t go along with the crowd. It is important that people always think for themselves and use their own analysis to form their opinions and not what other people think.

2. Lesley 7 months ago

Dear Tuan:

I am surprised with your article Don’t Let Peer Pressure Persuade your Opinions and Beliefs,” because of how much I relate to it, as I have witnessed many people crack under peer pressure, much like the way your classmates did. 
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “The one way to move our society in the right direction is by supporting our beliefs and opinions with facts and evidence to show people that we have a point.” I think this is a wise decision because someone who supports the majority for that sole reason may or may not believe in it, and people who see that will se that person negatively, as if they cannot think for themselves and don’t have an intelligent mind. 
    Another sentence that I reflected on  was: Many people didn’t like him because of this reason but also a decent majority of people were against him because that was the “popular” decision and they didn’t want to be shamed in supporting him. ” This stood out for me because it showed me how some people are able to stand up for what they believe in no matter what and how some people can’t and are ashamed of who they are.
    I do agree with you that peer pressure is a bigger issue than it may seem. One reason I say this is that some people who always follow the crowd won’t be able to think for themselves when they will have to. Another reason I agree with you is simply because you highlight the importance of standing up for what you believe in, something that not a lot of people can do.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because based on what I have read, you are not afraid to say what you feel you have to say, which open’s up one’s eyes to reality.

3. Lesley 7 months ago

Dear Tuan:

4. April 7 months ago

Dear Tuan,
    I am intrigued by your post because I totally agree with you. I also feel that we should all be allowed to express our own opinion without people contradicting what we say or what we do. However, regarding the Donald Trump issue you mentioned, your actions say a lot about who you are and the people wouldn’t “hate” him if his actions weren’t so…uneducated. One thing you said that stands out for me is “people should follow their own beliefs and not let peer pressure persuade that.” I think this is very necessary because people do what the majority of the population does, regardless of being wrong. Your post reminds me of the women’s march, because of your picture but also because during this day women speak and do as they please while going against sexism without the fear of being judged. Thanks for your project I look forward to seeing what you write next because these types of posts really interest me.

5. Onyu 7 months ago

Tuan, I think your topic is very important these days. It is very easy to get peer pressured by friends and it can influence in very positive or negative ways. I really liked your example students just following the crowed when we were playing agree and disagree game. I was also peer pressured by classmates at that time, because I didn’t wanted to be the only one in either side.

6. Jason 7 months ago

This is a very good and very true post. My class does that same game with the agree or disagree and I have to admit that i do sometimes just follow the crowd. It is truly important that people start to realize that they have to make their own decisions. This is very true when it comes to bigger things like going out instead of studying for a big test, people need to look at what is gonna benefit them the most and not care so much about what others are doing. I feel this could be said in politics too. People will vote for a person just because that is what others around them are voting for. Young kids in our generation need to make our own thought and our own choices.