Chapter 6~8

Pg. 39 : “Well, one night I creeps to de do’ pooty late, en de do’ warn’t quite shet, en I hear old missus tell de widder she gwyne to sell me down to Orleans, but she didn’ want to, but she could git eight hund’d dollars for me. En it ‘uz sich a big stack o’ money she couldn’ resis’.

Comments and Questions

During this time, when the slavery were not abolished. The author, Mark Twain, is giving the audiences some details about how much were the slaves sold to other owners. The context also provides emotional quotes about Jim. I  think that Human can not be priced or set as an item to be sold, but Jim was priced as eight hundred dollars, which is also big amount of money back in the 1870’s.  I wonder if slaves were more expensive than wanted white person such as murderers or thief.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dialectical Journals Huckleberry Finn by Onyu Pak is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.