,

“After supper she got out her book and learned me about Moses and the Bulrushers, and I was in a sweat to find out all about him; but by and by she let it out that Moses had been dead a considerable long time; so then I didn’t care no more about him, because I don’t take no stock in dead people. (pg 2)”

This was at the very start of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain and this quote was the very first one to go into my dialectic journal because of how it so well sets a tone for the rest of the book. It shows the poor englished used on purpose by the author to identify the time period as well as the fact that the character might not be as highly educated as others in the book.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dialectic Journal Entry by Jason is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.