Chapter 1- “Pretty soon I wanted to smoke, and asked the widow to let me. But she wouldn’t. She said it was a mean practice and wasn’t clean, and I must try not to do it anymore.”

Chapter 1 Response- Huckleberry Finn had lived a different life before he was taken in by the widow to become educated. Is the widow now a step-mother to him or just place to stay? In his life before, it had been acceptable for him to smoke and being uneducated was okay, and common. However, the widow wants young Huckleberry to become educated and civilized because she believes this is how proper boys should be.

Chapter 5- “And looky here- you drop that school, you hear? I’ll learn people to bring up a boy to put airs over his own father and let on to be better’n what he is.”

Chapter 5 Response- I chose this quote because I felt it showed where Huck was coming from with his education. It is Huck’s father talking to him and demonstrating how Huck had felt about education. During this time, fathers often did not want their sons to be better then them; as a drunk man, Huck’s father did not want Huck to be anything more than an uneducated drinker as well. Because that was all Huck knew for a long time this may be why the widow was having such a difficult time trying rein him in.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dialect Journal – Huckleberry Finn by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Wentao 7 months ago

Emily, I really like your post. When I was reading chapter one, same as you, I did deeply think about the first quote. “Pretty soon I wanted to smoke, and asked the widow to let me. But she wouldn’t. She said it was a mean practice and wasn’t clean, and I must try not to do it anymore.” I was trying to find out what Mark Twain want to explain to us. Is that the freedom or Innocence.

2. Zahra 7 months ago

Emily,
    I never thought about the second quote. It’s interesting to think that Huck is more like his father than I previously noticed.

3. Kait 8 months ago

Emily, I really like how you talk about Huck’s background, his time briefly living with the widow and his relationship with his father. Our background and roots make up who each of us are as individuals and you raise a lot of good points. I really like where you are going with this. Good job!