Page 4 “Say, who is you? Whar is you?” -Jim Around this time, it was common to think of slaves as secondhand people, and in this instance, Jim was the culprit, and his diction shows how he is uneducated, poor, and inferior to his Anglo-Saxon masters. It’s unfair to judge a human being like this in my opinion. Is Twain doing this as a regionalist or is he actually doing this to raise light on an issue? I feel that he’s doing this as a regionalist, appealing to southern tradition, using Jim’s diction to give it a more Southern feel. I think he also wrote this as a regionalist also to get more money, writing something that people want read.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Huckleberry Finn Dialectic Journal by Sid is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Joseph 4 months ago

Sid, I liked how you analyzed this theme that Twain placed in this book. Nice job! I agree that judging a human based on certain qualities. I think your stance on your question is one way to see it. Twain uses the dialect, especially for when Jim talks, showing that he’s a regionalist, along with including conflicts about race. Bringing light to the racism in the south, Twain brought out the “evils” of the south, exposing the issue to the world. I liked your views, Sid. Keep up the good work!