You’ve probably seen a lot of these on here.

“Well, I can tell you it made me all over trembly and feverish, too, to hear him, because I begun to get it through my head that he WAS most free—and who was to blame for it? Why, ME. I couldn’t get that out of my conscience, no how nor no way. It got to troubling me so I couldn’t rest; I couldn’t stay still in one place. It hadn’t ever come home to me before, what this thing was that I was doing. But now it did; and it stayed with me, and scorched me more and more. I tried to make out to myself that I warn’t to blame, because I didn’t run Jim off from his rightful owner; but it warn’t no use, conscience up and says, every time, “But you knowed he was running for his freedom, and you could a paddled ashore and told somebody.” That was so—I couldn’t get around that noway. That was where it pinched.”

-Page 79

This quote shows how Huck feels about Jim and how he sometimes thinks of him as his own person, but still sees him as a possession. He still believes Jim is owned by someone so it is wrong to help him escape, and he feels guilty because of that. He thinks that helping Jim escape is equal to thievery.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dialectic Journal by Celia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Xochitl 6 months ago

Celia,
    I wrote about this quote in my dialectic journal too. I agree that it shows Huck’s internal conflict about slavery because he begins to realize that Jim is a person not a possession. I think that this is a very important aspect of the novel that allows the author to bring up social issues from the time period. Nice journal entry!

2. Carmen 6 months ago

Hi Celia! I also think that this quote is important in the novel. It shows how Huck Is conflicted about what he has grown up knowing and what he is beginning to learn about Jim. Twain does a really good job of using this conflict in order to comment on the times. Awesome job with this journal entry!