,

Reading Notes

Apirl 29,2017

Chapter 4 and 5

P.15: “ Miss Watson’s nigger, Jim, had a hair-ball as big as your fist,which had been took out of the fourth stomach of an ox, and he used to do magic with it.”

(Twain p. 15)

Comments and Question

This novel takes place before the civil war,  where slavery was still aloud and discrimination was a normal thing. The novel is told through the view of Huck. Huck is the protagonist of the story. Huck has just given the judge six thousand dollars he had found in a cave where robbers hid their loot. The reason Huck gives the fortune to the judge is because he does not want his father to have a chance at the money. Huck’s father is a drunk so Huck does not want his father to use that money to buy more alcohol.

The white society at the time had power over african americans because slavery was still present. That’s probably why Huck calls Jim, Miss Watson’s nigger. Huck thinks that it’s ok to call JIm that but if he said that present day in 2017 it wouldn’t go to well for Huck.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dialectic Journal Huckleberry Finn by Quan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.