From reading:

Pg. 4: “Say,, who is you? Whar is you? Dog my cats efs didn’ hear sumf’n. Well, I know what I’s gwyne to do: I’s gwyne to set down here and listen tell I hears it ag’in.”-Jim

Comments:

In context, Jim is a slave who belongs to Huck’s(the main character and narrator) foster family. I chose this section of the book to highlight elements of diction and regionalism in this novel. Jim is a black male servant in the years before the American civil war. We can first see the work of diction, in which Jim, who is most likely an uneducated black man due to their slave status, speaks in a dialect that possibly matches that description. Another area is regionalism. Set in a southern area along the Mississippi river, we can see southern dialect in this quote, alongside the dialect of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dialectic journal from “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Thomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Onyu 4 months ago

Thomas, I agree with your analysis for your quote that speaking style is very different. Also, Jim who is uneducated have very different dialect.

2. Jasmine 4 months ago

I definitely agree, the dialect is very different and distinct between all the characters. Jims language is his own and separates his from Huck’s “proper” language

3. Tuan 4 months ago

Thomas, I totally agree with you that dialect is extremely important in this quote because it shows the use of dialect from a different region then what we are use to. Great job with your analysis and keep up the good work.

4. Eric 4 months ago

I think you’re absolutely right about Jim and his dialect, and how it shows regionalism. My question is this. Why is Jim’s dialect different from Huck’s, and also how different is Huck’s from what, at Twain’s time, was considered the “proper” dialect. How does Twain show the difference between Huck’s dialect and “proper” dialect?