The Widow Douglas she took me for her son, and allowed she would sivilize me; but it was rough living in the house all the time, considering how dismal regular and decent the widow was in all her ways; and so when I couldn’t stand it no longer I lit out. I got into my old rags and my sugar-hogshead again, and was free and satisfied. (Chapter one, Page 2)   The purpose of this passage is for the Mark Twain to reveal Huck’s personality and desires. Although Huck should be thankful for the what the widow has to offer him and her organized manner, he is more likely to think about the things he is missing out on. We learn from this that Huck craves to be out in nature, or have some sort of interaction with the outside environment. To him, the bare necessity of fresh air or a beautiful day is more valuable than regularly scheduled meals. This shows his childlike qualities, as he rebels slightly against order in search of adventure, rather than total organization, giving backstory to the title, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dialectic Journal for The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Naomi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.