Jimmy Budd

Today could not be topped in its harshness towards me

Do not attempt to convince me that

There is light in all darkness

Because, when you take a close look,

This world we live in is just hell disguised as a sanctuary

Even if

Light shines every now and again

What we feel now will never last

It’s not true that

It’s within our minds and hearts

Because

Only true happiness can be achieved

If your surroundings are keen

It’s not true that good exists

I’m sure we can all come together when I say

Reality

Creates

My attitude

I do not control me, that is in the hands of something greater than myself

You will never hear me say that today was a virtuous day

(read top to bottom then bottom to top)

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shadowed Happiness by Jimmy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Krista 3 months ago

Dear Jimmy,

I am taken back by your poem, “Shadowed Happiness,” because it really brought to light all that happens on this earth. It emphasized how happiness is toyed with and how happiness is one complex concept to comprehend.

One part of your poem that stands out for me is where you were able to write the poem in such a way that when it is read in reverse, another point of view (although with the same general message) was able to be expressed with the same words. I think this is amazing because with such a small amount of text, you were able to leave me in awe once I was finished reading.

Another part that I enjoyed was when you were bluntly describing how cruel our time is. This stood out to me because it was able to open my eyes on how happiness is not an easy thing to achieve, and how it is a progress to be truly happy.

Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next, because I enjoyed your interesting style that I hardly see anymore. The ideas were presented concisely and effectively, and I hope your future works are just as enjoyable.