Have you ever had a teacher in your school that people do not like and you thought that you did not like her either? But when you meet her she turns out to be nice. Well, I have I did not like one of my teachers because of what other students have said. But when I met this teacher she turned out to be just fine. Nothing people said was true about her. She is a nice kind thoughtful and caring person. I should not have agreed with the students earlier on without getting to know this teacher at all.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Teachers Can Be Fine by Beatrice is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. William 3 weeks ago

Hi Beatrice,
    I enjoyed reading this post and it is a very good point that you make. You should never make assumptions about people from what you see or hear until you meet that person for yourself. I found this article on judging a book by its cover, a common saying for judging others: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/happiness-in-world/201208/judging-book-its-cover.
    This article uses great wording about painting a picture of someone before we know them and how it can be difficult to move past our original beliefs. I think you should take a look at this if you are interested in the inner workings of judging a person before you meet them. If you decide to continue and write on this, it would be a great read!

2. Chris 3 weeks ago

Yes! I know exactly what you are talking about. At my school this has happened to me multiple times, and now I’m a lot more open to different teaching styles. I think it is really important to meet someone before you judge them. I would love to know more about the teachers at your school?

3. Hailey 3 weeks ago

Hi Beatrice. I really enjoyed reading your perspective on teachers. I think this article brings me to the idea that you should not let other people’s perceptions sway your own opinions. I will link an article below that further explains characteristics of a good teacher. What draws you to like this teacher and why do you think others don’t liker her? I have never read a perspective like this before, and I will be back to read more from you because you don’t let other people influence your opinions which is important in keeping a non biased pov.
    https://www.chronicle.com/article/What-Makes-a-Good-Teacher-/236657

4. Naomi 2 years ago

Hey Beatrice!

I have had this experience multiple times as well. Over the last few years in high school, I learned that liking a class/teacher depends on a lot of things, not just the teacher, like the students in the class and the time of day.

Naomi

5. MacKenzie 2 years ago

Hi Beatrice
    I really enjoyed reading you post. I too had a teacher like this my junior year. Everyone would go through the hallways saying how bad of a teacher she was. How she was mean to everyone. So when I heard this I thought I was going to be in for a now so fun year. When to first day of class round around I though this was the end, but I was wrong. It turned out she was not so mean after all she just wanted kids to listen. Overall we had a great year.