After talking with my girlfriends mom Brandi I learned more and her and where they came from.  She began to tell me how her grandmother and grandfather were from Louisiana. They were what she called “mutts” because they were mixed with many ethnicities. Her grandfather was a musician in a band down south.  Back in those days racism was very active and he faced many hardships.  Brandi didn’t know too much about her grandmother because when her mother was two years old her grandmother passed away.  Later on when Brandi was born she and her mother lived in Sacramento, CA.  In 2015 unfortunately Brandi’s mother was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.  While in the hospital she explains to me how they experienced poor care.  From the articles i’ve read some statistics show that Black patients are treated poorly opposed to the white patients.  While they were at the hospital they were waiting for her mother to be transferred which took 4 hours. During these four hours they left her mouth in a constant pain with any medication. After they proceeded to laugh in their faces when Brandi’s mother in-law addressed the issue about no medication while four hours had already passed. Sitting down and talking with Brandi gave me a better outlook on how their lives were and the situations they faced because the color of their skin.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Aware of biases and work to overcome: having the difficult talk by Rayondre is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.