Abstract: Climate change is affecting our planet now more than ever, and people may have a bigger part in this worldwide issue than they realize. Studies have shown that one of the most dangerous and harmful industries to our planet is the meat industry; It contributes to almost half of the greenhouse gases. One of the most advertised solutions to combat our carbon footprints is to limit our contributions to greenhouse gases, one the most harmful phenomenon facing our planet. As stated so in an article by Sharon Palmer, plant-based nutrition expert, “…the greenhouse gas emissions for a vegan diet are 41.7 percent lower compared with non-vegetarians…” (Sharon). Making conscious decisions throughout our day to day lives regarding nutrition could be the easy solution many environmentalists are looking for. ResearchEssay

CC BY-SA 4.0 How to Significantly Lower our Carbon Footprints by Heidi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. James 8 months ago

Hey Heidi, I agree with your status on global warming. The world as a whole can only increase in an average temperature of 2 degrees before we start to have serious global issues, with such a small margin I do agree that something must be done to decrease the emissions of greenhouse gasses. However I do not think that reducing the amount of meat we consume is the right way to solve this. Unfortunately I don’t think many people would be willing to give up meat, including me. Not to mention the huge hit the economy would take from the reduced consumption of meat. All in all I agree with what Nishan said that we need focus on other sources of greenhouse gasses, like industrial production and coal power plants.

2. Nishan 8 months ago

Heidi, this is a great post about an increasingly relevant subject. Global warming is only going to get worse and it’s strange how we don’t implement such simple plans that could go a long way. I’ve always heard how you need much larger amounts of food to raise an animal to be slaughtered, then to grow some sort of crop. I didn’t think about how that effect greenhouse gas production. I agree with your essay that regulations would go a long way in stopping the severity of it. However, I don’t think we’re going to see many regulations come anytime soon. We kind of have a solution for the greenhouse gasses created by animals, I still think its more important to focus on things like power plants that create large amounts of CO2 and other gasses. We don’t have much of a solid alternative yet and this could lead to severe problems later in more ways than one. Still, I definitely do agree with you that tougher regulations in the meat industry would be beneficial. Do you have any ideas on how to better get a hold of the public’s attention?