I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to achieve their dream or succeed. Unfortunately, in some countries, people don’t have the opportunity to achieve it due to having too many obstacles.

When I first decided what I wanted to become when I grow up, I have always thought of how I can achieve that dream and what I should do after achieving my dream. As I was growing up, the school has been a fun place for me, because I got to have opportunities to learn new things and meet new friends.

However, when I started higher grades, I started to see the reality of my dream and lose self-confidence. It’s because I met other students who were better than me and school education was getting too difficult for me. Also in Korean schools, teachers always reveal students’ test scores in front of their whole classmates, and they number the students by the test scores. So I tried to do my best in school, but the school work was too hard for me, even with my efforts. So I started to lose interest in school and education.

When my parents found out I was doing badly in school works, they asked me about moving to the United States for a better education opportunity. My parents were not thinking of moving to the United States just because of my school grade. It was because studying is the only way to success in South Korea. After having a long discussion with my parents, we decided to move to the United States.

When I first arrived in the United States and went to an American school, I was doing much better than in Korean schools. Doing good in school caused me to gain self-confidence that I can achieve my dream. With my mind to succeed, I studied very hard to do better in school. About three years have passed, and here I am now reaching for the dream that I have always dreamed of.

I was able to get close to achieve my dream because America gave me the opportunity to achieve my dream. I wasn’t able to be who I am right now just with opportunity in America, but with my parents who helped me to get through all obstacles to reach my dream.

From my experience, I believe that opportunity can make people achieve their dream or succeed.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Overcoming Obstacles to Achieve Your Dream by Onyu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Thomas 4 months ago

Onyu I totally agree. The Korean educational system is very competitive and results in a lot of stress for Korean students. Gaining your self confidence should always be your number one goal, then after that you can aim for your goals. I hope you gain that confidence even more, and I will support you throughout.

2. Lauren 4 months ago

Hi Onyu!
    You’re story is actually one I relate to. I moved here from korea at age 3, so I don’t know a lot about the korean education system, but my dad always tells me how many more opportunities there are here. He said that it is so much more competitive in korea! I’m just so grateful to be able to go to school here too! I hope you continue to chase your dreams and look for more opportunities!

3. lundych18 4 months ago

Onyu,
    I agree that opportunities can give someone a better chance to succeed. A change in someone’s life, such as moving to another place, can open new doors that he or she didn’t have before. I also think that believing in yourself can help a person succeed. If you’re optimistic about your success, then you’re more likely to do well and usually perform better. I read an essay that says that believing you can accomplish something makes a person more likely to achieve it. You can find it here: http://jamesclear.com/fixed-mindset-vs-growth-mindset. I thought it had a lot of cool ideas about how we can use different techniques to allow us to grow in several ways.

Christian

4. Jahkym 4 months ago

Your story is nice and all but for most people that were born in this country, that isn’t the case. A lot of people who live here often don’t get opportunities to succeed.