Analyzing the Hurt of Love

1. Desdemona, Brabantio’s daughter has been spotted missing from her home because two gentleman were yelling at his window.  “[Brabantio] O heaven!-How got she out?-O Treason of the blood! Fathers, from hence trust not your daughters’ minds By what you see them act. Are there not charms By which the property of youth and maidhood May be abused? Have you not read, Roderigo, Of some such thing?” (Othello 1.1.182-188).  Brabantio exclaims as he wonders how Desdemona managed to break out of her own house. This can go to say that Desdemona is his daughter but she must obey as a slave and do everything that’s told of her. “Treason by the blood” means to be betrayed by your own family. It can imply that if you disobey, it will be considered as a crime to the family. “Fathers, from hence trust not your daughters mind/ By what you see them act.” means dads every where shouldn’t trust their daughter’s mind because they have no control over it. This is something today that is still said and done. Women are told they can’t do something because their insolent minds can’t handle such high stress of making decisions. Sexists in today’s time believe that woman’s mind is just too emotional and fragile. “Are there not charms/ By which the property of youth and maidhood/ May be abused?” Brabantio is telling the men about any spells that could abuse Desdemona’s traits of youthfulness and virginity. Pretty much calling Othello a wielder of witchcraft. “Have you not read, Roderigo,/ Of some such thing?” This line could mean that he’s read about it somewhere and it could be some type of racist literature. As was most of the literature back this the shakespearean day.
  2. Iago and Othello are having a conversation and Iago brings up the accusation that Desdemona is cheating on Othello and he asks to explain how he knows of this. Quote:[Iago]One of this kind is Cassio In sleep I heard him say “Sweet Desdemona, Let us be wary, let us hide our loves”; And then, sir, would be gripe and wring my hand, Cry, “O sweet creature!” And then kiss me hard, As if he pluck’d kisses by the roots, That grew upon my lips; then he laid his leg Over my thigh, and sigh’d and kiss’d; and then Cried, “Cursed fate that gave thee to the Moor!”(Othello 3.3.463-471). According to Iago, Cassio sleep talks and he shares his secrets as he sleeps. He explains that Cassio revealed “Let us hide our loves”. He could’ve said love but its plural as in trying to say that this isn’t the first time they “have an affair”. Iago wanted to make it seem more miserable than it already is. Imagine being betrayed once. Now multiply that by a couple times. When you’re in love, it’s like getting stabbed repeatedly when you find out that your loved one is not yours completely. Speaking of being in love “As he pluck’d kisses by the roots” is a  small indication to tell  Othello that Cassio is head over heels in love with Desdemona because he brought those make believe kisses from the roots, otherwise saying from the core of his soul. One doesn’t simply give those kisses out to anyone and Othello deep down knows that. “Cursed fate that gave thee to the moor” fate is a strong belief that a lot of people have in this world. They believe that fate is the hand that points your way and you must follow or else, but if you look at the relationship between Othello and Desdemona who are so openly in love, anyone could notice that fate may or may not have brought them together but marrying each other and staying together was a choice they made on your own and it wasn’t fate. When someone tells you that fate had brought you and so and so together and that it’s meant to be that way forever, then you realize that they steered away from you. It hurts so much because of that belief.

Photo by Sarah G…

Photo by Sarah G…

CC BY-SA 4.0 Analyzing the Hurt of Love by Ebz is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.