Quote: Third gentleman,“A Veronesa. Michael Cassio, /Lieutenant to the warlike Moor Othello/ Is come on shore./The Moor himself at sea/And is in full commission here for Cyprus.…’Montano,/ Pray heavens he be/For I have served him, and the man commands/Like a full soldier. Let’s to the seaside, ho!/ As well to see the vessel that’s come in/ As to throw out our eyes for brave Othello,”[Act 2.I.29-42]

Analysis:  Everyone has arrived at Cyprus, the lieutenant and soldiers  who followed Othello start talking good about him. As Montano waits for the arrival of an old friend he, as well as everyone, talks highly about Othello and his fighting skills saying he fights like a “full soldier” every battle and for people that like this black guy they him praise him and hope he makes it safe to Cyprus unharmed. Montano is telling everyone follow me as we wait for his arrival near the docks. As people speak highly of Othello praising him for everything he has done why call him a derogatory term ‘Moor.’ Is he not an equal to them? How much power does Othello truly have in a situation with these people?

Quote: ”To seel her father’s eyes up close as oak-/ He thought ‘twas witchcraft-but I am much to blame;”[Act 3. 3. 235-236].

Analysis: Shakespeare plays on the word “seel” in Othello’s lines from the climax in Act III when Iago is trying to manipulate Othello that there is something going on between Desdemona and Cassio by referencing back to Brabantio. The word could mean “seel” as closing a person’s eyes or prevent someone from seeing something. In other words Iago is trying to make Othello remember about how Desdemona betrayed her father. In other words Iago was trying to tell Othello that Desdemona made her father blind to what was happening. Like her falling in love and marrying Othello. The word “oak” could be referenced as poison. Like Desdemona poisoned her father that made him blind to his daughter’s betrayal for her marrying Othello. In the word “seel” there is that word see. Basically if Brabantio payed more attention to Desdemona then he could’ve ended whatever she was feeling for Othello such as love but really in his sense of witchcraft. If Brabantio could’ve seen what was happening between Othello and Desdemona then he would’ve kept her away from him and not be under a spell. His “witchcraft” is a reference to what Brabantio thought Othello used on his daughter to force to marry him in Act I, who claimed that Othello put a spell on her. Like Brabantio is like Othello made her blind as though he had complete control over her. Basically Desdemona poisoned her father by making him blind to her betrayal to marrying Othello which led him to believe it was witchcraft from Othello. The irony Shakespeare plays on “I am much to blame” is that Iago knows that all of this is his fault. For the line “I am much to blame” lets remember Iago went

CC BY-SA 4.0 Analyzing Othello by Stardazia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.