“Look to her, moor if thou hast eyes to see;/She has deceived her father and may thee./ my life upon her faith! Honest Iago” (Act 1. Iii 7)
The quote

The phrase is “She has deceived her father, and may thee” say she lied to her father about never marrying someone without his consent and she married someone. He telling Othello that if she betrayed her own blood what makes him think she won’t do it to him. It can also mean that the love she says to have for him is not real and their wedding vows mean nothing to her. Deceived can mean in the feminist lens that all women cheat at a time in their life.

That can thy light relume when I have plucked the rose,/ I cannot give it vital growth again/

Act 5 scene ii 13-14

The phrase vital means manifesting of life. Othello is referring to Desdemona when he says “I cannot give it vital growth again” he says that after what he did to Desdemona he can’t bring her back to life. Othello feels that she has to die because she cheated on him.  He says Desdemona is a rose to him. He says that he has plucked the rose he picked out the girl that stands out to him from the other girls/roses. He thought he picked the best but she was not the best for him so he had to kill the rose he loved so much.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Analyzing and Writing about the Language in Shakespeare by Gabriel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.