After reading the article, “Greek Mythology: Sources,” I noticed the methods that they went about drawing in the reader. They first stated what they were looking into; they set the claim and their purpose up by explaining the historical views of the Greeks and how archaeologists have found scientific evidence to back up their discoveries.”Around 700 BC, the poet Hesiod’s Theogony offered the first written cosmogony, or origin story, of Greek mythology. The Theogony tells the story of the universe’s journey from nothingness (Chaos, a primeval void) to being, and details an elaborate family tree of elements, gods and goddesses who evolved from Chaos and descended from Gaia (Earth), Ouranos (Sky), Pontos (Sea) and Tartarus (the Underworld).” By introducing the poet, Hesiod, it opens the discussion to the story of the universe.

Archaeologists have looked into Greek ancient artifacts and have found hints of this story painted upon vases. The author’s syntax and diction give off the science vibe that he wants to give to the readers to show that he knows what he was talking about. However, the links that the author ties to gods and the planets is what gives his essay character. He explains why ancient Greeks believed the planets were actually gods and their ties to astronomy.

• “Zeus (Jupiter, in Roman mythology): the king of all the gods (and father to many) and god of weather, law, and fate
  • Hera (Juno): the queen of the gods and goddess of women and marriage
  • Aphrodite (Venus): Goddess of beauty and love
  • Apollo (Apollo): God of prophecy, music and poetry and knowledge
  • Ares (Mars): God of war
  • Artemis (Diana): Goddess of hunting, animals, and childbirth
  • Athena (Minerva): Goddess of wisdom and defense
  • Demeter (Ceres): goddess of agriculture and grain
  • Dionysos (Bacchus): god of wine, pleasure, and festivity
  • Hephaistos (Vulcan): God of fire, metalworking, and sculpture
  • Hermes (Mercury): God of travel, hospitality and trade and Zeus’s personal messenger
  • Poseidon (Neptune): God of the sea.”

The author finally uses the persuasion method when he encourages his readers to take his point of view on the topic of theories and conspiracies against Greek mythology. He explains how the Greeks may have been worshiping planets because of their lack of science, yet others insisted that perhaps there is truth behind some of the stories.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Rhetoric of Greek Mythology by Thyme is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.