My name is Jah-kym McMillon, and I am from New York. Teens are being tried as adult for any offense. This leads to them going to adult prison and most likely ruining their lives. This law hasn’t directly impacted me, but I know people who have been scarred by the prison industry.

For teens, being in adult prisons can be very traumatic. Just like in the case of Kalief Browder. He was held in Rikers Island for allegedly stealing a backpack. He was held there for three years with no conviction. Also, for most of his stay in Rikers he was held in solitary confinement. Solitary confinement can cause serious mental issues, which can probably be linked to his suicide.
New York is one of the only two states to charge teens as adults. The other state along with NY, is North Carolina. In the first paragraph, I stated a flaw. That is that charging teens as adults can ruin their lives. But let me go more into depth about that, this can mess up their opportunities for jobs depending on what type of crime was committed.2

CC BY-SA 4.0 Destruction of adolescent lives. By Jahkym McMillon by Jahkym is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.