For my research paper I researched the decision making process of a general manager in athletics. More specifically the correlation between playing a high level of college basketball or football and if that influences the decision of getting the job. Throughout my research I found out multiple general managers took different paths and some took longer than others. What I found was that those who play D1 athletics had a easier ladder to climb not because of the knowledge that came with the gameplay, even though that played a small role, but because of the people they got to know while playing. The more coaches and staff you knew then the easier it was to become a candidate when the job was available. Like most jobs I found out that the general manager position is based off who you knew and if you knew a lot of people then it was easier to get a job for you. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1crBp3N4Hyo1oASh2dwsWZQFml6TGn2vz2YH4j9Kxl_w/edit?usp=sharing

CC BY-SA 4.0 How do you become a general manager of a sports team? by Tom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.