Medical waste is having a negative impact on our environment. Medical waste is often an umbrella term for any possibly infectious waste produced in a healthcare facility.To fix the problem of excess medical waste in our environment we must first figure out where all the extra comes from. The majority of medical waste comes from operating rooms and labor and delivery rooms. Overall healthcare centers and providers produce upwards of two million tons of medical waste each year. This comes to 5,500 tons of medical waste per day in the United States alone. Even though the majority of ways in which we can currently get rid of medical have negative impacts to our environment the hospitals and health centers are trying to do something about it. Today many hospitals are taking it upon themselves to help the environment. “They are building new “green” hospitals following sustainability standards drafted by healthcare insiders.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B67EYCI7sSOgQ3VVOXFQd3ZrQ2s/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msword

CC BY-SA 4.0 Medical Waste Abstract by Abi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.