I am from the basketball court,

from roaring crowds and the swooshing sound when the ball hits the net.

I am from towering piles of clothes and the endless stacks of shoes.

I am from crape myrtles,

the bright and beautiful flowers that line the streets in the summer.

I am from big turkey dinners and sarcasm.

From the laughs shared between all cousins and the sweet memory of Jacob.

I am from drunken card games and never ending fun.

From “If you eat that seed a watermelon will grow in your belly”

and “Treat others how you want to be treated.”  

I am from the church goers to the stay at homers.

I’m from Savannah Georgia, where the sun always shines,

from big spaghetti dinners to a burger and fries.;

From the lost cousin who took his own life

The bad habits in which consume my aunt and my mother.

And the daily arguments that end by night.

I am from boxes filled with old photos,

Memories made by a family of lies.

CC BY-SA 4.0 A Family of Lies by Skylar is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Najm 8 months ago

Najm:
    Dear Skylar,
    I am intrigued by this poem because of the actual last piece of writing. This writing was very well made and very descriptive, giving me warm and nostalgic feelings about childhood. I was a little swayed from this when you went on to mention that all of these memories were made by a family of lies. I am perceiving that in your family-mentioning your Aunt, Mother, and some arguments-that you had some sort of curve from the sweet joys of life/childhood due to this, and I indeed sympathize that it is or was that way.

One thing you said that stands out for me is: “I am from drunken card games and never ending fun.” I think this is heart warming and gifting because I too also remember and understand the feeling of ever ending fun around the people you love.

In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her speech: “Like our economic and political worlds, stories too are defined by the principle of nkali. How they are told, who tells them, when they’re told, how many stories are told, are really dependent on power.” I thought that this quote meant that the power to tell stories is within only that certain storyteller and anyone else who really connects with that person or experience. I feel this connected with your poem because I truly believe that only your type of story and feelings about those certain memories can and will only be described that clearly and realistically by just you.

Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this story connected with me on a deeper personal level and showed me the true meaning of memories, family, and the different emotions that we feel with both.

2. Mia.love 8 months ago

Dear Skylar

I am intrigued because of the way you worded this poem and connecting to what you did when you were younger and how you spent time with your family because of their use of sarcasm.

One thing you said that stands out for me is: “ From the lost cousin that took his own life , The bad habits in which consume my aunt and mother ” I think this is sad because for someone to take their own life is tragic because they most likely deserved to live.

In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her speech: “what this demonstrates is , i think , is how impresssionable and vunerable we are in the face of a story , particularly as children . Because all i had read were books in which characters were foreign , i had become convinced that books by their very nature had to have foreigners in them and had to be about things with which i could not personally identify ”. I thought that this quote meant that from a story you can tell where your characters come from that your reading about and connected to your poem because you explained where you came formand the things you did as a kid and who you spent your time with also how you grew up and people that died in your family.

3. Jaren 8 months ago

Dear Skylar,

I am intrigued by your poem because it reminds me of the troubles my own family has, and even though they aren’t as serious, I enjoy knowing that someone else can at least what it’s like to have troubles underneath the exterior of your life.

One thing you said that stands out for me is: “I am from big turkey dinners and sarcasm.” I think this is sad because any family can have issues and even simple group things like that can hide the problems that could tear them apart.

In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her speech: “What this demonstrates, I think, is how impressionable and vulnerable we are in the face of a story, particularly
    as children. Because all I had read were books in which characters were foreign, I had become convinced that
    books by their very nature had to have foreigners in them and had to be about things with which I could not personally identify”. I thought that this quote meant that people on the internet are just that, which means that in some way or another, you can identify with everyone you meet online and connected to your poem because of how i never met you before but found myself connecting with your story.

4. Darius 8 months ago

Dear Skylar,

I am very intrigued by you poem because of how deep and thought provoking it was. The poem really made me think about where I came from and I also enjoyed how descriptive it was. It allowed me to be able to picture the poem in my head and put myself there.

One thing that you said that stands out for me is: ¨From “If you eat that seed a watermelon will grow in your belly” and “Treat others how you want to be treated.” I think this is funny because I remember hearing those things as well when I was younger.

In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her speech:¨What this demonstrates, I think, is how impressionable and vulnerable we are in the face of a story, particularly as children. Because all I had read were books in which characters were foreign, I had become convinced that books by their very nature had to have foreigners in them and had to be about things with which I could not personally identify.¨ I thought that this quote meant that when we are young we are usually very impressionable and this connected to your poem because of how those things like “If you eat that seed a watermelon will grow in your belly” really seemed very real to people as children.

Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your poem really brought me in and made me want to read more and learn more about where you come from. It was thought provoking and I enjoyed that about your writing.

5. Kemonjie 1 year ago

I feel she is talking about being a young athlete who love to play basketball and have fun outside, another thing i noticed where she is from is that she is from the south where the people used the old way to live like go to church and eat good soul food. another thing that stand out to me in this poem was when she said the saying “If you eat that seed a watermelon will grow in your belly” i like that saying because it bring memories back up in my head from when i was young and live in the south myself.

6. Athsia 1 year ago

Starting off you know that she is talking about being into sports and she is athletic person. A girl from down south a friendly good soul. Likes to just spend time playing games and staying home.

7. Samuel 1 year ago

Skylar, this was a very good poem, it was very deep, and made me think about where I come from.