I CAN’T SPEAK THIS LANGUAGE

BUT I HAVE TO ASK A QUESTION

CHILDREN SPOKE AROUND ME

I DID NOT FEEL WELL BUT HOW DO I SAY THAT

AND GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE I THROW UP

NO ONE SEEMS TO NOTICE

I AM SLOWLY SINKING IN MY SEAT

AND YET I CAN’T SPEAK THE LANGUAGE

MAYBE THE TEACHER WILL REALIZE

HOW YELLOW MY FACE HAS TURNED

OR I COULD JUST RUN OUT

I CAN START RUNNING

I CAN’T SPEAK THIS LANGUAGE

BUT I HAVE TO ASK A QUESTION

—Victor H. Cruz I.S.O. —

CC BY-SA 4.0 I CANNOT SPEAK BUT I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY by Tala is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Foster 5 months ago

I think this was a very thought provoking post. I am taking another language in school right now and initially thought I was decent. What I found was that I am good at written aspects of the language, but conversational I still struggle on. This language barrier is hard to overcome and I thought your work presented a big social consensus.

2. Jessica 5 months ago

I really thought this poem was beautiful. I liked how you made the text in all capital letter, because it demonstrates how urgent this child’s need for communication is. This addresses a very real issue with the language barrier and how many children feel when they cannot communicate. Great job!

3. Victoria 5 months ago

I think it is beautiful how you used language to speak about language barrier. I personally used to have trouble with language because I grew up speaking Spanish and I felt behind in everyday conversations. Well done:)

4. Natalya 5 months ago

I really like this poem! It has a twist on it that is different from Cruz’s original work. I feel that the character portrayed is anxious, about to burst (logically so) versus the more out of place, frustrated, character that Cruz presents. Very very well done 🙂

Thanks for you work,

Natalya