I am from  the different designer cups stolen from a variety of places

from  the coconut oil used in my hair to the brush that di more than brush my edges but also my forehead

I am from  be home before the street light turns on

and  65th avenue when they all looked the same

I am from  the Oak trees covering the bedroom window

whose  branches whistled at the rain when life seemed to stop

I am from  the red camera only driven when leaving oakland to

from Hailey and Smiths

I am from hitting people cause you’re happy  and Telling everyone your business

and from cussing people out in haiti because it was better

from head scarfs and wardrobe

I am from baptist christianity

I am from Mcgregory and Helen

from fried chicken and rice

from Haitian revolution

and from slave trades

Having nothing to having everything

I am from those moments  

I am from Mcgregory and Helen

CC BY-SA 4.0 From Nothing to Everything by Stardazia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Devine 3 weeks ago

Dear: Stardazia

I was intrigued by your poem because you were able to tell somewhat of a story by only giving limited details about your life. You told so much about your background by only including basic aspects about yourself that make you an individual. The word choice used in your poem set a tone that gave me as a reader insight to how you think and I believe that was a good writing decision.

One thing that stood out was the stanza “having nothing to having everything” which is also like the name of poem. I thought that quote was interesting because I interpreted it to mean that your ancestors or your people went from a place where they had undesirable lives, to a lifestyle that you live that could possibly contain all that you could ask for. This stuck in my mind because I know a lot of people from different backgrounds that now desire to live their lives the best they can despite the past their ethnic group may have had or how anyone in the world may see them.

Thank you writing this poem. I would enjoy reading your other work because I’m not aware of the customs of the Haitian culture. I think receiving details from the first hand experience of a person of Haitian descent will educate me and possibly many other people. In conclusion, you have written a very good poem that all should read.

2. Hala 3 weeks ago

Dear Stardazia,
    I was intrigued by your poem because of your use of the Haitian revolution as empowerment and how you demonstrate gratitude from it. Most people see Haitian revolution and slave trades as a detrimental and worthless event. One thing you said that stood out to me is “ I am from the different designer cups stolen from a variety of place,” I was a little confused. I wonder what you mean by designer cups and why is it something that commonly gets stolen?
    In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “ The danger of a Single Story.” Your poem reminded me of a quote from her speech: “All of these stories make me who I am. But to insist on only these negative stories is to flatten my experience and to overlook the many other stories that formed me…” I thought this quote meant that in life we have so many stories to tell, positive and negative but often the positive gets overlooked. While negative experiences are significant, positive stories and experiences are just as significant and should be told just as much as negative experiences. This connected to your poem because you mentioned pleasurable stories and also experiences that are not so pleasurable.
    Thank you for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next!

3. Burhan 3 weeks ago

Dear, Stardazia

I am intrigued by your poem because i have only ever lived in the states. I wonder what it is like to live elsewhere. How is living in Haiti different than living in the United States?

One thing you said that stands out to me is “From Haitian revolution”. I think this is interesting. It is interesting because I like to learn about history and i want to know more about the Haitian revolution.

In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her speech: “ I left Nigeria to go to university in the United States. I was 19. My American roommate was shocked by me. She asked where I had learned to speak English so well” I think this quote represents the fact that people see other countries are other worlds we know almost nothing about. I think it is linked to your poem because people usually don’t know about other places past the depiction of the country in the media.

Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I want to see what you can come up with. Also because you have a interesting style I would like to see more of.

4. Aniyah 3 weeks ago

Dear Stardazia,

I am intrigued in your poem because I can relate to some of the parts in your poem.

One thing you said that stands out for me is: “from the coconut oil used in my hair to the brush that did more than brush my edges but also my forehead.”
    I think this is interesting because not only do I use coconut oil , I remember when I was a little girl and my mum used to brush my hair into a puff, not only did she brush my hair she brushed my forehead as well.

In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her speech: “All of these stories make me who I am”. I thought that this quote meant that <all the stories about her life and how she did things simply makes who she is and connected to your poem because you started each line with “who I am” and then continued with things that make you .. you
    Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you simply write the facts about the good and the bad about who you are and how you reflect about them.

5. Skylar 11 months ago

Hello Stardazia, This was a very good piece. I connected with the part where you mentioned being from having to be home before the street light comes on. I used to have to be home before the street like came on as well. It was very interesting! I would love to know the background story about cussing people out in Haiti. Great work!
    – Skylar