Leaf, if you fall from me you will land in the snow.

You will be stepped on by little feet.  

Without you, my life in not complete.

Stay with me please, my Leaf.  Lie here, please don’t go.

See how the others all leave. I thought you were my bro.

I will protect you from the little feet.

Please it would be my treat. You are my sweet.

Stay with me, Leaf.  Down low the green grass will grow.

Down low the green grass will grow, Tree, and sun will shine.

Where I can let the wind carry me, but you can still see.

For if the wind carries me away it will be a sign.

You can’t hold on Tree.

Forever you will be mine.

But it is time for me to be free.  It is time for me to be me.

–MacKenzie

This poem was inspired by On a Night of Snow by Elizabeth Coatsworth.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Don’t Leaf Me by MacKenzie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jason 7 months ago

Mackenzie,
    This is a really nice poem to hear now that spring is coming round, leaves are coming back finally. I missed the sound of the wind whistling through them, it helps me think.

2. 8rrbdtz9 7 months ago

Hii MacKenzie,

I absolutely love this poem. You made seem as though it was a relationship between longtime friends or a mother and her kid. Thank you for sharing your poem!

3. Tara 7 months ago

MacKenzie,
    I really enjoyed this poem for a couple reasons. One, the flow was easy to follow and gave interesting imagery. Two, it made me think of the different backstories to the interpretation of this and how it could be taken in different ways.

4. Kendall 7 months ago

MacKenzie,
    I enjoyed this poem. You really used strong imagery, which kept me reading until I finished, and the conversation is poignant and descriptive. You also used the literary device of rhyme very well in this poem!

5. Naomi 7 months ago

Hey MacKenzie,

I love this poem! The relationship you created between the “mother” tree and the “child” leaf is so creative. I also like how you changed uo the language and added some humor.

–Naomi

6. AJ 7 months ago

I love this poem and how it has a calm tone and a good flow. I really like the idea of the leaf being the child and the tree being the parent figure.

7. Autumn 7 months ago

This poem is so cute. I could picture everything you said of the leaf wanting to leave the tree and the tree still being protective. I really enjoyed your idea of a parent to child with a tree and leaf.

8. Adam 7 months ago

Mackenzie,
    I really enjoyed your work with this poem, and I really like the idea of writing from the perspective of a leaf. You did a great job following the rhyme patterns of Coatsworth’s poem and did great work with the imagery and language to make this piece really seem like a conversation. Great job!

9. Rylan 7 months ago

Hello MacKenzie,

This is a really cool perspective to write from in my opinion. I think that the overall flow of the poem works well and I like that you have taken the structure of another poem, used it as a model, and then made it your own. Nice job!