The topic that I want to talk about is that kids struggle, even though it may not be physical.The first thought about this subject is that each kid take the experience that they have had could affect the structure and chemistry of the child’s brain during early age growing up. Some kids have to deal with neglected which then alerts the brain chemistry.

The first fact is that  there has been research that kids who have have been left alone are being neglected. When a kid is left alone the brain then send stress chemicals throughout the brain. Stress goes through many parts of the brain but where it can do more harm is in the hippocampus so, if the child is under stress for too long the stress can become permanent. Also, another thing is that when being stress for too long can than turn to health problems and even mental illness. The stress Another fact by doing research is that a child being left alone can be a good and bad effect. The reason for this is that it’s good for a child to be left  alone so it can learn how to entertain itself but for way too long is bad.

The second fact is that kids who don’t have a strong relationship can result in having mental issues. Since kids need to have communication and contact with  their parent at early age. For instance, kids are learning things when a they imitates what their parents do so, when the parent does not communicate back the kids part of the brain where it receives and return back the information is not being used which can result in them having a harder time process things. Another fact to this is that when kids  have lack in experiences their life could be harder to go through but also the kids have a lower DQ which stands for development quotient and those kids (DQ) are low to 45 to where the average is 100. A last fact to this topic is that kids who are in schedula life routine like in orphanages or foster homes where they only get a certain amount of communication with the people who are taking care of them. Also, there was an article that said that kids in care programs have to deal with different people that take care of them switching every hour or more can affect their brains to where later on in their lives would have a hard time to connect with others however it’s not just there but also at homes.

The third fact is that is that some kids go into foster care since they are victims of abuse in the house. These kids have had neglect and abuse being repeated so they don’t get the nurturing and stable environment. An article found in AAP New & Journals Gateway on Development Issues for Young Children in Foster Care it says “Children in foster care have disproportionately high rates of physical, developmental, and mental health problems..”, it shows that kids in foster home are same just as orphans. Even though a kid can be taken to foster the parents can still have custody over the kid. Also the kids may want to see their parent it’s possible but when the situation is really serious then the kid would need to have less contact with the parents. In the meantime, the kids are going through brain growth and so in this article says “ During the first 3 to 4 years of life, the anatomic brain structures that govern personality traits, learning processes, and coping with stress and emotions are established, strengthened, and made permanent.”,  kids need to interaction and receiving responses from other people to develop the brain to be fully functioning. Also in the article, it said that when the kids go through neglect, child abuse and much more their nerve connection are weaker because of their live situation that they lived in. Another concept to this subject is attachment. When kids have two people looking after them and have a good relationship they would have a good connection with other but when the child is not then the child could start to develop a detachment disorder to where they would not really connect with anyone but also have a hard time to trust others. Also while doing research there was a video that show when a child did a certain facial expression to where a person responded by mimicking the child however later on in the video they did the same but that time the person showed no expression the child, so the child began to cry. What the video showed me is that the a child needs to receive facial expression to learn but when it doesn’t happen the child become stress which leads to crying. 

In conclusion with all the research done though there is still more to learn how a child’s brain needs caring parents and having communication with each other. Another thing is that you should really think about how children are the next generation to society, and so, with them having problems for something that they had no control over can affect on how they might see the world. Also, every child would have problems from there past that could hold them back. The thing is that their brain is really sensitive during growing and when not cared can harm them physically and mentally. Kids from orphanages and fosters brain are different than those who have had sort of a regular life and it could take a while for them to learn how to cope with their past. Lastly, there is so much more research about this subject that some of the facts said could only be a small piece of a bigger picture.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Brain Effects of Orphans and Fosters by Florentina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ariel 9 months ago

Hi Florentina,
    I really like that this article is so informative about an issue that is not brought up all the time. This particular group of the population does seem to be glossed over so I’m glad that you are raising your voice. Keep it up!

2. Alli 9 months ago

Hi! I really enjoyed reading your post because I learned a lot and you enlightened me on multiple issues. Many people in society, including myself, are blind to the issues that these kids face. I think it’s up to everyone to work together to bring to light these issues so all these kids have a better childhood and place to grow up. Great piece.

3. MacKenzie 9 months ago

Hi Florentina
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I choose to read your article because my family adopted a little girl that was in foster care. I think the kids in foster have difficultly learning. I think your article allow people to see some of the things that these kids go through while growing up. I think we should create some program that help foster kids have a been chance of learning and dealing with other problems.

4. Kenzie 9 months ago

I really like this article! It helps bring some light to a problem that many people don’t see and I think that society should work together to give these kids a better place to grow up in so they have what they need to grow.