Dear youth voices ,

Art is our way of exploring and expressing who we are . However art classes in public schools are being cut back or altogether eliminated, which takes out of a student’s ability to be creative and think outside of the box. Which can affect a student’s grades and test scores.

Most school districts claim that cutting art programs will improve academic ranking . However according to a study done by UCLA’s  School of Education and Information program  show that , “Student involvement in the arts is linked to higher academic performance, increased standardized test scores, greater involvement in the community and lower dropout rates.”. This shows how school districts are cutting the art classes for the wrong reasons.

Cuting art funding is a problem because as a student who goes to an art school , art is very important to me and my classmates . However we are very short on supplies and the supplies that we do have are run down . Which forces us to be limited with our artistic creativity .

All in all we need to work on better art funding to keep art programs open. Children in the future should have access to the arts and express themselves in artistic ways . With raising the funding for arts  , we can make improvements for a better artistic future ,by making the world a more creative place .

CC BY-SA 4.0 Art Funding In Public Schools by Elyssa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Maddie 3 months ago

Dear Elyssa,

For me, I need art to survive. It helps me cope with life and the things going on around me. The recent money cuts in our school district has left the art program with only $5 per student to pay for supplies, there’s no nice art supplies that you can get for five dollars to do an entire project. For each art class I have had to pay anywhere from $10-25 so I will even be able to have the correct supplies. A lot of people don’t really pay attention the the lack of funding to the art programs in school because “math and science are more important,” but the fact is that none of us would be who we are if it wasn’t from art. Though art the artist doesn’t only express what he/she is feeling, but what is going on in the world around them.

This article was amazing and I really hope so many more people read this.

2. Jenessa 5 months ago

Dear Elyssa,
    I love this article! I really just love any topic that has to do with any art whether it’s photography, painting, singing, acting, dancing, ect. I just love to read and learn new things about the subject. I have known for a while that art hasn’t been very popular to districts and that is very sad to think of. I myself love photography and painting/drawing things like this art available to me in my school there are very little art classes and no art clubs or anything like that. I have always wanted to learn how to take better pictures, draw, and just create things that express what I’m feeling or thinking. I can see how a person who has had some bad things happen in their life can do some type of art to use as some kind of outlet or way of letting things go. It can be very helpful and effective. Again, I absolutely love this post and hope to see more things like this in the future. Great job!

-Jenessa

3. Naomi 5 months ago

Hey Elyssa!

I agree with your stance on the topic- art classes are just as important as the 4 standard projects, and there is science to back that up. Personally, I love art, and I rely on art classes as a brain break in my everyday schedule. Without that chance to breath, my school day would be a lot more stressful.

–Naomi