“White Americans seem to feel that happy songs are happy and sad songs are sad, and that, God help us, is exactly the way most white Americans sing them- sounding in both cases, so ….”(42)

This makes me angered to hear that people think that White Americans don’t hear the music any different than what the words mean. This is just a generalization that is not true among people. People need to know that not everything that is said is true. Also people need to know that they can not make such broad  generalizations like this that are not true. The reason that people can not make theses statements is because it makes people raged to be thought this way. I would not like to be thought of in this way. It makes me feel that I have no feelings and I only listen to the meaning of words and nothing deeper. But in reality a lot of White people including me listen to words on a deeper level. All people of a certain race are different then others of the same race. Everyone is different than the person sitting next to them. No two people are exactly alike but they may be similar. It makes me mad to know that Black people can make a generalization about white people and we need to think that it is fine. But if it is the other way around the Black people can have feelings and can show their anger while white people can not. So the people who are making such statements need to realize that all people have feelings and that they should be able to voice their feelings and not be critiqued for doing so. This is an outrage that someone would dare to think that white people only think of songs as happy or sad and that they do not think of a deeper meaning, when we actually do. But this quote is what Baldwin thinks not me. And as you can see I think that Baldwin is completely incorrect to say “happy songs are happy and sad songs are sad” when you could be sad and happy at the same time.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Fire Next Time: Baldwin is Making Generalizations by Beatrice is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.