Hugs are like Hawaii

They come after all the fighting

All those debates and ideas spewed in the air like the vulgarness that spreads from our mouths

Hugs are meant for those who are genuine, the ones who suck in air to breathe out conviction

Those who bring the blood to our faces in the cold winters

If you were to hug me, you would hear a marching band whispering in your ear, that is my heart

I am happy to see you

But I don’t feel the same pulse flushing through your arms

The cold I feel is the breath on my shoulder

Just like aloha, hugs mean hi and farewell

I can no longer believe it as a lost of time but a loss of affection.

Those same whispers became louder but I could not hear the voice telling me no.

They don’t like my music

The drums are out of rhythm and the horns sound like fifth graders blowing raspberries

I no longer make noise. It was never needed.

But the band nerds were cut room so growth could consume

No longer do hugs need emotion or life but to let one know you are there. There for the time but no idea of future and I’m not sure whether those hugs were meant for them but I do know that memories are the past

I am now the master for hi and bye. My heart no longer clouds my judgment and neither do theirs. I have found the one.
Her heart beats, and there is red in her cheeks. She is real. She is for me

Photo by Hernan Piñera

CC BY-SA 4.0 Hugs by Matthew is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Pavan 7 months ago

Hey Matthew,

This poem made me feel warm inside. It was a very moving and heartfelt poem.

2. AJ 7 months ago

I really like the poem. It was genuine and it had a powerful message about hugs.

3. Madelyn 7 months ago

I enjoyed reading this poem. Very sweet and heartfelt. Great work 🙂

4. zach 7 months ago

Hi Matthew,
    I really enjoyed this piece of writing because it speaks to me as a unique individual. Sometimes people get put down by others for being different and make you feel very alone. It is at those moments that you crave a big hug. Not just any ordinary hug, but a huge, tight, hug from your best friend. A hug that make you feel protected from the world by.

5. Ryan 7 months ago

I really like this. Ive been told by people that i give the best hugs. Its a great way to calm.

6. Autumn 7 months ago

I really like this piece. It puts hugs into a different perspective. I’m not the type to really hug but reading this makes me rethink it. I loved the ending as well it was very cute.

7. Rylan 7 months ago

Hello Matthew,

Nice work! I like that this seems genuine, and think that it is a cool comparison.

8. Marcus 7 months ago

Hello Matthew,

This poem is so adorable OMG. Plus, hugs are really essential for all humans, because it gives us a feeling of safety and warmth that no other affection gesture can do!
    Love it.

9. Beatrice 7 months ago

this is so cute. it makes me cry. you are really good at poetry