Thoughts on the Safety Pin Campaign

The safety pin campaign was supposedly created to show support and solidarity for those who have been targeted by bigotry following the election of Donald Trump; it shows that they are “allies” of the LGBT, of people of color, and of those who have immigrated to America. Wearing a safety pin to show support of marginalized groups is fine, but that’s where the issue comes in: the issue is that people are donning the safety pins, claiming to be “allies” of those who have been marginalized, but do jack shit when the time comes to act on the virtues that they claim to hold dear. How can you call yourself their “ally” when you stand and watch in silence while they are made a target of hatred? You are not an ally. You are a bystander.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Thoughts on the Safety Pin Campaign by Drew is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.