I like the idea of people wearing a safety pin to feel safer in these conditions were faced with. Something so small carries the weight of hundreds of people. It’s quite funny actually but I love the idea of it all. People all over America should be wearing these to show any of those in our nation that the President of the United states has done and said awful things that’s made us all feel in danger. Racists are more open now thanks to his whole “make america great again” speeches and propaganda. We have people who have been outright attacked and threatened by these violent racists. I hope this movement wakes more people up and cause some actual change. #thingswillgetbetter #americaisfarfromgreatness

CC BY-SA 4.0 #Safety Pin Movement by Jamik is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Brianna
    Brianna 4 months ago

Jamik,

I agree with your opinion, but do you think we can do something even better with all the minorities standing up to make a change, if so how?

2. Profile photo of Jamik Author
    Jamik 4 months ago

Maybe there is another way. I don’t have the answer just yet I’m afraid. All I can say is that we should make these things known and we should make sure they know that it is NOT okay. It’s like going in public naked-not normal right? Well that’s how I feel we should make racism. Yes, we will not be able to make it nonexistent because it is rooted in people’s minds, but if we can come together and take baby steps then I’m sure we can obtain some sort of balance/peace with this whole situation.

3. Unser 4 months ago

Jamik,

I agree on your views about racism being a prevalent and growing problem in the United States. I also fully support the meaning and intent behind wearing the safety pin, but do you believe there could be another way to spread that message? Maybe I haven’t been paying attention but I haven’t noticed anyone wearing a safety pin. I also believe that racism is deeply rooted in people’s minds and isn’t something that can be so easily changed by wearing a pin. I also think that the act of wearing a pin could be abused by racists, to either mock it or start a fight. I don’t disagree though, that wearing a safety pin is definitely a good act of solidarity and is a step in the right direction. What do you think the next step might be?