#SafetyPinCampaign

My Thoughts On The Safety Pin Campaign

As a response to the election of Donald Trump, many non-minority Americans are taking pictures of them attaching safety pins to their clothing and posting them online to signify that they are linked and willing to support minorities. The purpose of the Safety Pin Campaign is very self- explanatory. Americans apart of this campaign wear safety pins as a small symbol of their support to minorities and people discriminated by Trump, such as Muslims, women, members of the LGBTQ community, Mexicans, and African-Americans. In my opinion, the whole idea of this campaign is ineffective.

First off, wearing a safety pin is very common. Just because someone happens to be wearing one doesn’t truly mean they are wearing it to support the Safety Pin Campaign. All my life, I’ve been wearing safety pins on my clothes, but I only recently found out about this campaign.Not once did I wear it as a supporter of the movement. I understand how wearing a SAFETY pin could serve as an example of SAFETY, but the idea of using an actual safety pin as a sign of safety is a little too simple. It isn’t a well thought of idea, if you ask me. Come on, what is a safety pin really going to do? A more effective way of going about this campaign would be to actively protest against Trump. If someone was really interested in supporting minorities, I’d suggest they make a poster or two, or even participate in a march. There are many ways to support minorities and stand against Trump that would make a better impact than that of a safety pin.

Whites are wearing these safety pins to express that they are an ally to anyone who wants to reach out and seek help. Instead of just wearing a safety pin, they should do active protests to prove their support for minorities. I agree with the  article : “Dear White People, Your Safety Pins Are Embarrassing”. The author, Christopher Keelty used the article to address his opinion on the Safety Pins Campaign. He pointed out a few statements, in which I agree with, that stood out to me.

He discussed how it’s not fair how white people are making themselves feel better by simply putting on a safety pin. You don’t get to call yourself an ally by wearing a 1 inch silver pin, especially after you voted for Trump. White people are defeating the purpose of this campaign. They are wearing it just to make them feel better and less guilty for helping Trump win presidency, when the real point of the campaign is to help minorities feel safe.

Keelty was right, white people are embarrassing themselves by wearing the safety pins. Many white people speak of the safety pin as a sign of safety for minorities, and a sign that they will act if something serious was to happen.  Unless they are putting in actual work towards protesting against Trump, their safety pins are pointless.

Photo by AmyFarr

CC BY-SA 4.0 #SafetyPinCampaign by Alicia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.