The first thing I saw when I would open my eyes was the wood that made up the inside of the cabin. No matter which direction I faced when I slept, that was what I would wake up to. The warm brown panels lined the ceiling, reminding me of the panels on the ceiling of the church sanctuary. In church I would often count them over and over to fight boredom, and I had found I could also do this when I couldn’t sleep.

Other note worthy and countable features of the cabin porch in which I slept were the many windows. They lined the walls and had no curtains, so I could see the tall trees around us at all times. Sometimes I would sit up just enough to see the lake lapping at the crooked shore before drifting off to sleep. It was a beautiful place to sleep when the nights were gentle, with the wind swaying the leaves and the smell of crackling campfires from the beach lulling me into a peaceful slumber. Other nights were significantly less pleasant, when the trees bent to and fro and I could feel the thunder in my bones. I am generally a fan of the grandeur of thunderstorms, but being out on the porch during one left me frightened and cold.

Now a days I would jump at the chance to spend a weekend alone with storms on the cabin porch. Being that close to nature’s mood swings would make me feel like I had finally found an exterior that matches my interior.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Cabin Excerpt by Ashton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.