Dear Rylan:

First and foremost, be who you are.  You will meet people who tell you that you must act a certain way or be a certain thing.  Don’t put too much stock into what comes from people you don’t want to emulate.  Remember that your family will always be there for you, even when your friends are not.  

You will find many different interests and hobbies throughout the next few years.  You will even find a bit of success in some areas of your life.  It will be easy to compare yourself to others and to determine your own success based on what others say.  If you are proud of something that you have accomplished, be proud of it regardless of what anyone else says or does.  Those who tear you down are not worth your time.  Find people who will support and encourage you in your endeavors.  This will benefit you more than you know.

Lastly, be kind to others even when they are unkind to you.  When someone says something mean or rude to you just brush it off, don’t give them the satisfaction of letting them know that they got under your skin.  Simply pay the insult or offence no attention and continue on with your life.  By doing this, you will take away any power that others think they have over you and you will be able to live a much happier life.  When you know there is a repeat offender, distance yourself from them.  There is no point in setting yourself up to have to endure the length of unnecessary and unpleasant interaction.  But above all, be yourself.

Future Rylan

CC BY-SA 4.0 Letter to my Younger Self by Rylan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. TaleahR 3 months ago

Dear Rylan:

I am pleased with your letter, “Letter to myself” because I feel as though it was a really good idea to write a letter to yourself. It shows that you know and are able to earn up to your faults and learn from them later in life. A couple sentences you wrote that stands out for me is “You will meet people who tell you that you must act a certain way or be a certain thing. Don’t put too much stock into what comes from people you don’t want to emulate. Remember that your family will always be there for you, even when your friends are not. ” I think this is very meaningful because a lot of people in life can learn from those words. Another sentence that I noticed was ” It will be easy to compare yourself to others and to determine your own success based on what others say.” This stood out for me because many people struggle with acceptance and if somebody that is struggling reads this, it will really help them out. Your letter reminds me of something that happened to me. I use to ask others for acceptance and tried to change who I was to fit others needs. But now i realized that there is no need for that. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it seems like you inspire people and a really stand up guy.

2. Profile photo of Andre
    Andre 3 months ago

Rylan,
    I really like your letter, I think it is important to be who you are.

3. Profile photo of Kiyrah
    Kiyrah 3 months ago

Dear Ryanly, i really like the thought of written a letter to my younger self. it will really show us the old stuff we use to do as younger kids. Thank you for writtening. i look forward to seeing what u write next time becuase this was a good idea.

4. Profile photo of Howard
    Howard 3 months ago

I seriously like the thought of writing a letter to your younger self. It really shows that you and only you know your faults. Thats a great quality to have in your personality.

5. Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan 3 months ago

Dont ever let anyone change be who u are and stay true to yourself your friends and family hit the books and gat that money