The James Calhoun Garden is where there is a statue of John Caldwell Calhoun. He was the inventor of the rhetoric of states rights. He was also elected vice-president of the United States twice. In Kincaid’s article Sowers and Reapers she say’s, “I remarked on how hard it must be for the black citizens of Charleston to pass each day by the statue of a man who hated them, cast in heroic pose.” John didn’t do anything for black people and he had the nerve to be standing in a heroic position. He was only some type of hero to white people. The other garden Kincaid talk about is the Middleton place a famous plantation and is a popular destination for americans interested in beautiful gardens. There is a grassy terrace at the garden, “At the foot of the terrace are two small lakes the have been fashioned to look like a butterfly. It is all very beautiful, even slightly awesome; and then there is awfulness, for those gardens and that terrace and those lakes were made by slaves.” Kincaid was trying to get people to understand that even though the terrace and lakes were beautiful, we should feel awful. A bunch of people probably know about the lakes at Middleton but they might have not know who spent the blood sweat and tears on building it. In a way we are taking it for granted, because it was built by great people but we don’t acknowledge it. The purpose of Middleton garden is to represent slaves and how great they were. They were forced to make something beautiful but couldn’t enjoy it. The purpose of John Calhoun garden is to show that he represented slavery but black people got through it and blacks are more than just slaves.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Gardens ” Sowers and Reapers by Briauna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.