For the research paper that our English class is drafting in class individually, I have decided to research the influence of culture in healthcare through individual experience, interviews with professionals with a backgrounds in health equity,  and prior social research. My interest this topic stems from growing up in a bicultural household, as well as work I have been involved in the STEM fields, specifically health equity and inclusion.

To begin my research, I decided to learn more about legislation on the topic today as well as beginning to find examples of cultural impacts on healthcare systems. The first article I came across was “Health Care Debate Focuses on Legal Immigrants”, by Julia Preston. She discusses the ongoing debate going on in 2009 about some new healthcare legislation that President Obama and Democrats had proposed. The big argument was not even about illegal immigrants; it was about immigrants who had been living in the USA for less than 5 years, but legally. The Republicans argued against coverage for these immigrants, since they said it would cause a rise in costs. Democrats, on the other hand, were arguing for coverage because these people would have to pay more later for graver illnesses that could have been prevented before, which they would not afford, thus it would cost the government.

Another article I found focused more on culture itself rather than legislation. According to the National Institute of Health, cultural respect is “critical to reducing health disparities and improving access to high-quality health care” (Cultural Health, NIH).  Culture influences belief systems, especially in health and wellness services. The NIH is an organization under the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that promotes cultural respect in healthcare and the workplace through education in these fields, especially to healthcare providers, as well as social research.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Healthcare and Culture: Initial Research by Victoria is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.