Let’s just get this out in the open before I begin; I am a democrat and I am a liberal. Sure, I may be the typical 16-year old boy still discovering his political views and still might not have a complete view or taste of what it’s like out in the “real world”, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t any truth to what I feel. This past election has taken such a massive toll on our country, and due to the actions of President Trump and Hillary Clinton, tensions are high as ever. People feel that it is ok to discriminate Muslims because of the rhetoric of President Trump and his highly questionable Muslim Ban. But on the other hand, if Clinton was to be our president, things would not have been as great either. Electing Clinton would have essentially have put a criminal in office, deleting over 30,000 emails not used on a private server when her husband Bill was in office. Where the issue starts for me is the large majority of people who were stuck in the middle, including I felt myself. There were tons of people who felt unsure who to vote for, for if they voted for Trump, they would be in support of a racist in office, but if they voted for Clinton, they would be in support of a criminal in office from one of the most corrupt families in America. The ideals of both of these candidates were at extremes, on one  you side you had a corrupt politician that was vying to be the first female president in the United States, where on the other hand, you had the most insensitive, egotistical maniac you have ever seen. If I were 18, I don’t think I would have voted. I would have stuck to my conscience, because whichever of the two candidates I voted for, it would have been assumed that I was in full support or tolerant of their policies, and even be deemed as a racist or a crook, which some of these other citizens in the middle were afraid of. This is where the issue begins. But it’s not because of the people, it’s the politicians themselves. What the politicians of this era lack is some damn COMMON SENSE. They are so hung up on taking on an issue this way or that way, and if you support it this way, you’re Republican and if you support it this way, you’re Democratic. That’s the problem, and even though we do live in a two-party society, it doesn’t mean that you can’t open your eyes to see what is right in front of you. The candidates this year did such a miserable job of this, and tons of the citizens stuck in the middle or who didn’t even vote were the ones who suffered. President Trump in specific has been fatally bad. Once he entered office, he made it clear that he wanted to eradicate foreign threats like ISIS, which is fine, but the way he went about it was very ill-hearted. He passed a Muslim ban, which prevented immigration from Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria, Sudan and Libya, even though the majority of the people immigrating were refugees that wanted to avoid persecution and danger in their homeland. Trump failed to use any common sense; his intentions were good, but failed to look at how it affects people who didn’t have relations with ISIS, for many of them just wanted to escape the turmoil in the Middle East. The lack of common sense in politics is going to hurt us in the future unless we do something about it and if it wasn’t already answered already…

That’s the problem with our politicians.

-Sid.

1. Bill 6 months ago

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us. I think in retrospect that you would have been happier and safer with the possible criminal over the definite racially challenged victor. Many people made the mistake of not voting, but that just takes your voice away. Believe me the major parties are counting on that.

2. Ryan 6 months ago

Dear Sid,
    I agree with you post about Todays Politicians, because I feel these really captures the current situation of the political climate. What you said really shows the reality of what voters where going through during the election.

One sentence that really stuck out to was: “if they voted for Trump, they would be in support of a racist in office, but if they voted for Clinton, they would be in support of a criminal in office.”

Thanks for writing.

3. Pat 6 months ago

Well, Hillary deleting those email was obstruction of justice. If nothing was wrong why did she delete them???? Just wanted to let you know.

4. Josh 6 months ago

Sid,
    For me as a liberal the choice wasn’t so hard, on one side you have this awful man who has said such terrible things and promised to carry policies that would hurt our nation. Yes Hillary does have the email problem but I just it blown up its not as bad as everyone makes it sound. However she had proposed policies that would benefit our country. Also the main thing in the election was the winner would be able to chose the next justice which is HUGE! Every one has their own opinions though.

5. Ariel 6 months ago

Hey Sid, I really like this piece and totally agree with you. That Muslim ban was terribly polarizing and the fact that those countries don’t have ISIS involvement makes it much much worse.

Ariel

6. Rylan 6 months ago

Hey Sid,
    I want to start out by saying thank you for your opinion. That being said, I don’t think it is fair to say that President Trump doesn’t use any common sense. The so called “Muslim Ban” can be seen in a lot of different ways. One view point is that Trump is a hateful, insensitive, and cruel President. Another way to look at it is that he is simply trying to protect this nation. In the (paraphrased) words of Malik Obama “we don’t lock the doors at night because we hate everyone on the outside, but rather because we love the people on the inside” (Obama). I for one, am in favor of locking the doors in order to keep my family, friends, and loved ones safe. I’m not against immigration, but I think we should be careful about who we let into our borders. That being said, we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Rylan Rawson

P.S. If you are interested in the the Malik Obama quote, here’s a link. https://twitter.com/obamamalik/status/825636542836269056?lang=en

Sid 6 months ago

Dear Rylan,

Thank you for your opinion. When I referenced to Trump’s Muslim Ban, it wasn’t necessarily meant to single him out, rather use him as an example since he is our president. There is truth to your opinion and I agree with what with you are saying about Trump’s intentions. I do believe as well that he has the best intentions in mind when making decisions as president. But when I say he doesn’t use common sense, I mean it as he doesn’t look at his policies through the eyes of an average person. On paper, it seems like the right thing to do to not let possible Muslim terrorists into our country by making a travel ban on immigration. There may be a reduce in potential terrorists entering our country, but there are also a ton of innocent refugees that may want to enter the country in order to escape persecution in their homeland. The ban will not let the refugees enter our country and they will have to stay in their war-ridden homeland. Where Trump doesn’t use common sense is when looking at the innocent refugees he’s refusing to let into the country, who will then suffer back home. He doesn’t realize the pain they will have to go through, that’s what I mean by not using common sense.

7. Kait Buckwalter 6 months ago

Hey Sid, I like this piece you did and I am your secret writing pal!:)
    -kait