I chose these two as my important people because they mean so much to me. These two are my favorite Sophomores of all time and are significant to me because they are two of the sweetest girls I have ever met. As a senior, I think I’m beginning to see things differently. The stress of college and moving forward is scary. These girls keep me grounded and give me a sense of safety and home. With these two, there is no stressing about college or moving out; it’s all about the present.

By framing them both in the center of the photo I showed that the place to focus on was them. The background has a shallow depth of field and is dimly lit to highlight them in the foreground. I used the railing in the background to add a converging line meeting in the middle.

Here’s another portrait that illustrates elements of good portraits:

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Important People by Malia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.