Marijuana Has Been Used for Centuries and Is Relatively Safe.

• Marijuana has been used in history basically since the beginning of time. Northern China has used it for textiles since 7,000 BC.
  • “In 2008, archeologists in central Asia discovered over two pounds of cannabis in the 2,700-year-old grave of an ancient mummified shaman.”
  • “In the United States, Congress initially imposed federal prohibitions outlawing cannabis’s recreational, industrial, and therapeutic use by the passage of the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937. This federal prohibition was later reaffirmed by Congress’ decision to classify marijuana—as well as all of the plant’s active compounds, known as cannabinoids—as Schedule I substances under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970.” – the federal government has it classified as more dangerous than cocaine and just the same as heroin.
  • “A recent meta-analysis of these compounds identifies well over a dozen therapeutic properties attributable to cannabinoids, including neuroprotective, anti-cancer, anti-bacterial, and anti-diabetic properties. To date, there are over 22,000 published studies or reviews in the scientific literature pertaining to the cannabis plant and its cannabinoids. Nearly one-half of these were published within the last five years. This total includes over 2,700 separate papers published in 2009, 1,950 papers published in 2010, another 2,450 published in 2011, and over 2,900 papers published in 2012, according to a key word search on PubMed, the U.S. government repository for peer-reviewed scientific research” Within the past 5 or so years the interest in Marijuana has increased and its hope to help organisms medically has increased.
  • “ground seeds from the cannabis plant contain high and balanced levels of essential amino acids and essential fatty acids and may be baked into a variety of nutritional foodstuffs, such as bread, butter, and salad dressing. Oil can also be processed from cannabis seeds and used for sautéing or consumed as a nutritional supplement. Since the seeds contain negligible amounts of the plant’s primary psychoactive agent, the importation and domestic sale of certain cannabis-based foods, oils, and sterilized seeds is permitted in the United States under federal law.” – explaining how many people can use the cannabis in multiple ways to get the nutrients through food and through the materials that it offers.
  • The functions of the drugs as it moves through out our body: “Subjects experience psychological and physiological effects after ingesting cannabis because cannabinoids, THC in particular, interact with a complex and dense receptor system within the body. The CB1 [cannabinoid receptor type 1] receptors, first identified in the late 1980s, reside predominantly in the nervous system and their stimulation is responsible for the plant’s psychoactive and behavioral effects, among other functions. The CB2 [cannabinoid receptor type 2] receptors, identified in the early 1990s, reside primarily in the immune system and are involved in the moderation of a number of biological functions, including inflammation and pain response. Naturally occurring chemicals in the human body (so-called endocannabinoids), which possess a similar molecular structure to herbal cannabinoids, act as neuromodulators and cytokine modulators within this receptor system to regulate many of the body’s essential physiological functions—including appetite, blood pressure, reproduction, bone growth, tumor modulation, immunity, inflammation, pain sensation, memory, and muscle tone, among others.”
  • According to a National Institutes of Health review, it is said that the functions that the cannabis fullfills are said to good for your health and fight off diseases.
  • Our society needs to be educated on the proper scientifically effects of the use of Marijuana because there are inexperienced users that can experience the effects of: “such as a tachycardia (rapid heartbeat), dry mouth, and a growing sense of paranoia.” In which frequent users know the amount that their body is going to be able to relate to therefore can use it properly.
  • Marijuana can not cause an overdose unlike other drugs and alcohol. “Cannabinoids also appear to be largely nontoxic to healthy cells and organs. Writes Dr. Mitch Earleywine in the 2002 Oxford University Press publication Understanding Marijuana: A New Look at the Scientific Evidence, “[C]annabis is essentially non-toxic.” A systematic review of clinical trials over a 40-year period, published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, found no higher incidence of serious adverse effects from cannabis-consuming subjects compared to controls, and cited ‘dizziness’ as the primary reported non-serious adverse event reported.”
  • USES: “Cannabis is most often inhaled—either through a cigarette (joint), pipe, water pipe (also known colloquially as a ‘bong’), or vaporizer. Consumers tend to prefer inhalation as a route of administration because they begin to experience cannabis’s effects almost immediately after inhalation. This outcome allows them to moderate their dose as needed or in accordance with their particular preference, as well as to achieve immediate relief from pain, nausea, and other symptoms.”

Source Citation:

Armentano, Paul. “Marijuana Has Been Used for Centuries and Is Relatively Safe.” The Legalization of Marijuana, edited by Noël Merino, Greenhaven Press, 2016. Opposing Viewpoints. Opposing Viewpoints in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/EJ3010991213/OVIC?u=salt89600&xid=65c9b8f4. Accessed 6 Mar. 2017. Originally published as “Marijuana: A Primer,” Norml.org, 29 Jan. 2013.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Marijuana Research (Gale) by Markie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.