Although there are contrasting views on the long term effects of coffee and it’s relationship with our health, there is one thing that has very consistent research; the relationship between coffee and sports performance. Acorrding to http://coffeeandhealth.org/topic-overview/sportsperformance/  the caffine in coffee has a significant increase in sports performance, especially in high intensity and aerobic sports and exercises. Caffeine also increases adrenaline production during exercise. This improves blood flow and stimulates energy. Also, according tohttp://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20090402/muscles-sore-after-exercise-sip-caffeine#1 coffee eases muscle pain as a result of exercise, and overall pain reduction. It can also serve as a post-workout recovery drink. 

1. Madison 5 months ago

Dear Geneieve,
    I was not suprised that coffee could increase someones performance but at the same time I thought it could mess with the blood flow and make a person tired or jumpy. I knew coffee increased performance because my coaches told me that a couple of people were disqualified from something for having a lot of caffeine in their system. I could agree with you, but at the same time, the people that drink caffeine for sports purposes and such,at the end of the day, coffee comes with diabetes and shortness ect. I hope you continue with your informative writing. Good day

2. Karthik 6 months ago

Hi Geneieve,
    I never knew that coffee could actually help with an athlete’s performance. I was always told that coffee gets you dehydrated which is the reason why most people don’t drink it during athletic related activities. But even though coffee may give you more energy or better blood flow, I still think Gatorade may be better option for a sport drink. Not only does people like the taste of Gatorade better, but Gatorade has electrolyte salts that could replenish in your body when you lose sodium by sweating. Coffee does not have any sodium in it. Also, even though coffee could stimulate your body during the activity, the after effects with coffee are not attractive. Some after effects of coffee include unusual tiredness and sleep depravity. What do you think? Should coffee replace Gatorade as the top sports energy drink?

3. Ben 6 months ago

I found your post very interesting. I never would have thought that coffee would have such a positive benefit in sports. It seems as if it would have had a negative effect like other caffeinated beverages. You would think it would cause you to crash during the activity. I look forward to reading more about this topic.

4. Paige 7 months ago

Geneieve,
    I am surprised that coffee can increase someone’s sports performance. I have always thought it was bad to drink, especially before athletic events because of the drop off in energy levels that happens when the caffeine wears off. Yet the fact that coffee can be served as a post-workout recovery drink has me thinking hard. When I think of post-workout drinks I think of chocolate milk and protein shakes. I have always been told not to drink a lot of coffee because it can stunt your growth. What are your thoughts on that?