Coffee and Sports Performance

Although there are contrasting views on the long term effects of coffee and it’s relationship with our health, there is one thing that has very consistent research; the relationship between coffee and sports performance. Acorrding to http://coffeeandhealth.org/topic-overview/sportsperformance/  the caffine in coffee has a significant increase in sports performance, especially in high intensity and aerobic sports and exercises. Caffeine also increases adrenaline production during exercise. This improves blood flow and stimulates energy. Also, according tohttp://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20090402/muscles-sore-after-exercise-sip-caffeine#1 coffee eases muscle pain as a result of exercise, and overall pain reduction. It can also serve as a post-workout recovery drink. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Coffee and Sports Performance by Genevieve is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Ben
    Ben 6 days ago

I found your post very interesting. I never would have thought that coffee would have such a positive benefit in sports. It seems as if it would have had a negative effect like other caffeinated beverages. You would think it would cause you to crash during the activity. I look forward to reading more about this topic.

2. Paige 1 week ago

Geneieve,
    I am surprised that coffee can increase someone’s sports performance. I have always thought it was bad to drink, especially before athletic events because of the drop off in energy levels that happens when the caffeine wears off. Yet the fact that coffee can be served as a post-workout recovery drink has me thinking hard. When I think of post-workout drinks I think of chocolate milk and protein shakes. I have always been told not to drink a lot of coffee because it can stunt your growth. What are your thoughts on that?