Every day I face the stress that so many other teenagers deal with.  It originates from several different aspects of my life, and the different stresses all meld together to the point where I’m one big ball of stress.  While I don’t think it is that uncommon, it is still relevant.

School is most likely the biggest stressor for me, as it is for almost every high schooler.  I have very minimal amounts of pressure from my parents; the majority of the pressure I put on myself is from me.  Acknowledging that I am one the main reasons causing my stress was a big step.  But actually doing something with this information is a whole new challenge.  I think society and the “ideal lifestyle” is the main root in which my pressure stems.  It is commonly thought that with good grades comes a good college education, and with a good college education comes a high-paying job, and with a high-paying job comes an achievable happy life.  And with such few years to be on this glorious planet, isn’t the real goal to live a happy life?  That’s what my whole 16 years on this planet has been focused on.  Societal pressures are definitely prominent, but I don’t think they’re the only things that cause my self stress.  I have always tried to get the best grade possible and close to no faults.  The happy life plan really only involves high school grades not primary schooling.  So it is very possible that my desire for perfection is another large contributor for my stress.

A different stress factor probably stems from the desire to just be a good person.  Not offending anyone or hurting anyone is something I strive to do, and I when I fail,  I stress about it!  Along with that comes the idea of giving back to the community.  I volunteer a lot and I think that contributes a lot to my stress.  I feel a sort of pressure to do something for the people that have done something for the area I’m in.  Just by living in an area, a person can do so much, and so I feel that to truly thank everyone for developing my community, I should volunteer some of my time.  The main stress that arises from that centers around the fact that I just don’t have as much time as I would like.  Time limits everyone.

After watching the two videos, “How Stress Affects Your Brain” and “How Stress Affects Your Body,” I gained a sense of the actual knowledge of the effects of stress.  I have always been aware of the fact that stress has a negative impact on mental health, but I had no idea that it could affect other parts of the body, or increase the chances of getting certain diseases.  I am going to focus more on decreasing the amount of stress I have by making more time for just relaxing whether it be yoga, meditation or just a couple minutes of easy breathing.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Stress by Jordan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ashton 5 months ago

You’ve done an excellent job summing up what it’s like to be a teenager now a days. I’ve noticed that a lot of adults say we shouldn’t be this stressed because we only have school to worry about, but those people aren’t taking into account the pressure of living ‘the american dream” or the best life we possibly can. According to society, there is only one road to happiness, and maybe if that perception changed then the the stress on to teenagers would be a little lighter. Thanks for your thoughts on this subject:)

2. Jason 5 months ago

Jordan, I think what you just described is something that everyone in high school has felt at some time or another. But what sets us all apart is how we deal with it. Give yourself a little perspective when your back is against the wall. What you do in high school CAN have a major impact on the rest of your life so choose wisely. Give yourself goals, don’t hold anything back, and let yourself know that its all on you. Nobody wants to take the blame for your bad choices. Accept them and move on.

3. Ariel 5 months ago

Jordan,
    I feel this on a spiritual level. It’s really terrible that many students today feel like they they can’t be the best that they can be academically and also being happy and relaxed individuals. I will continue to work on that for myself and if/when you find the answer please let me know.
    Ariel 🙂

4. Adam 5 months ago

Jordan,
    While I have certainly dealt with stress from school, I certainly believe that the major cause of my stress comes from me pushing myself. I relate with the desire to keep good grades, and sometimes I push so hard, I can’t focus on anything else. I have found that sometimes you just need to accept doing poorly on an assignment or two to just relax and take some time for yourself. Thank you for sharing.

5. Kiyrah 5 months ago

Dear Jordan, i am very impressed by your poem because it was very different and i could relate to this because this topic bothers alot of us teenagers today. Nobody really know how to deal with stress now a days. i agree with you on all of this. i can honestly say school is a major stress in my life. one part that really stood out to me was when you said “A different stress factor probably stems from the desire to just be a good person. Not offending anyone or hurting anyone is something I strive to do, and I when I fail, I stress about it! Along with that comes the idea of giving back to the community”. That touch me in a way. Great job jordan thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because i can relate on a whole level so keep doing what your doing.

6. Jimmy 5 months ago

Jordan, thank you for sharing this amazing piece of writing with the world. Your piece really spoke volumes to me as it reminded me of myself. I have little pressure from my parents in my everyday life, so I can not blame them for the stress or anxiety I face each day. Stress is something that can completely damage you for a short amount of time, or even long term as repetitive amount of high stress can cause extreme mental or physical deficiency and sometimes cancer. School is a major stresser in our everyday lives and I do not believe it gets better unless you face everyday with an optimistic attitude and continue to look towards the future as very soon high school will be over.Thanks!

7. Luca 5 months ago

Hi Jordan,

I also feel what you feel. Stress can be such a barrier to feeling happy. It’s hard to stay happy sometimes and I try to force myself to be happy but I usually end up just not being happy and just don’t talk to people. It is hard sometimes to also find the cause and how to fix it. I have that problem. It’s nice to hear that I’m not the only one with this issue.

I hope all the best

-Luca

8. Vail 5 months ago

I struggle with stress and anxiety for the same reasons as you. But recently I’ve read a book called “Tuesdays with Morrie” which helped me change my focus on wealth and success to building strong relationships with the people I love. Because in the end these relationships are all that is going to matter. The material things that we get so caught up with can be here today and gone tomorrow, but love will always be there to help us through these hard times.

9. Paige 5 months ago

Jordan,
    I can totally relate to the stress you have, especially with school and trying to be perfect. It is something that I have also tried to work on. One thing that has helped me with this type of stress is trying to not worry. Worrying about whether I will get an A on my math test or get accepted to college does nothing to help me. So why should we worry if it has no positive benefits? I like the idea of yoga to distress. Do you have other things/activities that you have learned help you distress?

10. Melaina 5 months ago

I think that this is a really great essay because this is a topic that bothers a lot of teenagers. Most people don’t know how to deal with stress nor do they know how much damage it can cause to your body. For you to care about your health and research is awesome. Striving to be the best person you can be and doing good to others is fantastic, but not at the expense of yourself. I hope you continue to relieve your stress!!

11. Natalya 6 months ago

I agree with you on all of this. It is hard yet important to realize you are a major proponent of your own stress. It is sometimes harder still to do something about it. A significant portion of the kids in my school suffer from depression that isn’t helped by the college prep atmosphere of the school. School is a major stress that I wish we could alter. Learning should be fun and interesting not mandatory and overwhelming.