When I was given this assignment, all I knew was that I wanted to write about feminism, but I didn’t really know exactly what about it. So, I started thinking, and I started researching. As I dug deeper, I realized just how wide of an issue feminism really is. There are people on both sides of it, those very for it and those very against it. However, as I was digging, I realized that “feminism” really doesn’t have just one definition. There are so many different facets to it, so many different understandings of what the word actually means. Ultimately, it is the notion that women and men should have exactly the same standing. Most people would not disagree with that idea. Why, then, is feminism considered such a radical thing? Because of the different meanings people give it.

So, my research question has become this: What really is Feminism, what should it be in today’s modern society, and how do we de-stigmatize the notion that women and men are equal?

Photo by Gigi Ibrahim

CC BY-SA 4.0 Feminism: Research Question by Mary is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Zyquill 9 months ago

Whoops… Sent by accident.

Sup Mary,
    From what someone once told me, there are two different types of feminist.
    Radical- Are usually the louder feminist, however they seem to preach for the uprising of woman and to degrade men. This is the feminist most men hate or fight against. (This one doesn’t always state facts but likes to sway things their way)
    Standard- This feminist says they want equality and tell both points on their progress and what could be better. This is the feminist most men don’t mind or protest too and will ignore most of their comment or try to change things to help out.
    From what I understand, one is not to be taken seriously, but one is more equality than prejudice toward the opposite sex.

2. Zyquill 9 months ago

Sup Mary,
    Radical- Are usually the louder feminist, however they seem to preach for the uprising of woman and to degrade men.
    Standard- This feminist say they want equality and tell both points on their progress and w

3. Luca 9 months ago

Hi Mary,

I totally agree that there is a problem with defining definition of “feminism”. I believe that the issue comes from different places. One of the problems is how the message is delivered, second is who was it taught by, and third has to do with timing of when the message is told. All of these different variables ( there are probably more but I can’t think of them) cause the messages to becomes all scrambled up.
    To answer your question. I believe that we as a society have to learn to not relate certain words to political issues because feminism isn’t only a political issue but a social issue. Not only do politicians have to stop using it as a political argument but instead as a social issue. They also have to stop using it as a way to attack their political opponent but instead make it a bipartisan issue that has to be solved for the benefit of both men and women. Personally I believe that both men and women should have an equal footing.

Have a nice day

-Luca

4. Ashton 9 months ago

I appreciate that you’ve pointed out the problem with multiple definitions of the word ‘feminist.’ I have noticed even in daily life that many people are misinformed about what feminism really is. Our feminist club at school got a lot of mixed feelings at first because a lot of people(particularly the male population) were under the impression that the women involved hated men, which is not the case. I love your introduction to feminism here, nice work:)