Writing this research paper I am trying to find out how states are approaching the issue of global warming, especially coastal states. I’ve come across a lot of articles stating the approach to saving air quality of single states, which will lead to a reduction of greenhouse gas and/or pollution. According to the article “US Actions On Greenhouse Gases” written by Bette Hileman, about 13 bills have been introduced in the U.S. Congress that take varied approaches to reducing greenhouse gas emissions. A group of senators has introduced the America’s Climate Security Act that combines elements of 12 previous climate-change proposals, according to Hileman. Over the last decade or so, most states have reduced their greenhouse gas emissions by promoting energy efficiency and renewable fuels. These trends should continue as clean energy costs continue to decline and, in some parts of the country, fall below the cost of dirtier fuels like coal. Many states will be able to meet the Clean Power Plan’s targets by increasing energy efficiency, according to M. J. Bradley and Associates, a research/consulting firm.

According to New York Times, California and New York plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions to 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2030. “Hawaii hopes to get all of its electricity from renewable sources by 2045. This month, Charlie Baker, the Republican governor of Massachusetts, proposed new rules for power plants and vehicles to make sure the state achieves its goal of a 25 percent cut from 1990 levels by 2020.” The article continues to state that emissions are already down by around 20 percent.

Four legislative bills by the Senate committees in December 2007 in the U.S. The bills focused on climate change issues; a few are the Climate Security Act, Climate Change Adaptation Act of 2007, Global Change Research Improvement Act of 2007 and Federal Ocean Acidification Research and Monitoring Act. All of these aim to develop necessary tools to adapt to climate change, along with plans to keep these solutions going.

“Climate Change Bills Advance in Senate.” Issues in Science & Technology, vol. 24, no. 3, Spring2008, pp. 28-29. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=8gh&AN=32015666&site=ehost-live.

[1] FEMA (2008). Coastal AE Zone and VE Zone Demographics Study and Primary Frontal Dune Study to Support the NFIP. Washington, DC: Federal Emergency Management Agency Technical Report, 98p.

Board, The Editorial. “On Climate Change, Look to the States.” New York Times, 26 Dec. 2016, p. A20(L). Global Issues in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A475010422/GIC?u=salt89600&xid=324ac7e3. Accessed 28 Feb. 2017.

Photo by chesapeakeclimate

CC BY-SA 4.0 How are states in costal areas approaching the issue of global warming? by Kathleen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Abi 5 months ago

I enjoyed hearing that we are taking steps to do something about our ever evolving world. Its good that the states it impacts are doing something about it. Nice job!

2. Nikki 5 months ago

I really enjoyed reading this article! It’s nice to hear that states are taking steps to cut down on greenhouse gases. It was interesting that you focused on what coastal states are doing, that was a really good point of topic that I hadn’t thought about that much before!

3. Luca 6 months ago

Hello,

Your article brings up a very important question about the areas (coastal states) who will be most affected by climate change and what they are or are not doing to improve it. This is a very important point to bring up.