The United States has taken significant steps to improve the quality of of this country’s air. This generation needs to take a step forward and improve our environments future. I’ve been studying the science and effects of climate change over the past three years in some high school classes. Climate change is causing dramatic changes; with sea levels rising faster along our coasts, storms growing more powerful, and natural disasters being more disruptive. This is causing effects all over the planet, not just the coastal states.

According to Environment America, we’ve experienced 16 of the 17 warmest years on record since 2000 including 2016, the hottest year ever recorded. We’re fast approaching the point when scientists say climate change could tip toward catastrophe. The good news is that solutions like solar, wind and efficiency not only reduce carbon pollution. They also clean up our air, reduce asthma attacks, and promote energy independence. http://www.environmentamerica.org/programs/ame/global-warming-solutions

Now, what are states doing about this big issue? According to EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency), they “collect various types of greenhouse gas emissions data. This data helps policy makers, businesses, and the Agency track greenhouse gas emissions trends and identify opportunities for reducing emissions and increasing efficiency.” They promote a clean energy economy through many programs and partnerships all around the country. https://www.epa.gov/climatechange/what-epa-doing-about-climate-change

Photo by Glyn Lowe Photoworks.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Turning back from climate catastrophe will also clean up our air, reduce asthma, and promote energy by Kathleen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Josh 5 months ago

I think we need to act as fast as possible. People like Elon Musk have been very helpful by creating many great ideas however we need our congress to act fast and create policy to transfer over to renewable energy. I am just afraid it will be too late.

2. Rylan 5 months ago

I think that this issue is pretty complex because the implementation of the policies and practices being advocated for seem like they could be quite drastic. I think that having that coupled with people resisting a form of change in their own lives means this issue is going to be very challenging to do anything about quickly, but I could be wrong.