While researching confidence and the factors affecting it, I seemed to get lost in endless information correlated with self-esteem.

Pinpointing just what I wanted seemed impossible and I was just getting started. I wanted to look into how confidence, not only alters your happiness and drive; but also how it can mold from those around you.

The further I searched within Pioneer, the more I found I recognized. Your happiness, compassion, and drive to do your best is greatly influenced by how Confident you really are.

A study performed by Chul-Ho Bum and Ik-Ki Jeon at the Kyung Hee University looked at the Structural Relationships Between Students’ Social Support and Self-Esteem, Depression, and Happiness.

They found that “social support from parents, professors, and peers [resulted in a] higher self-esteem.” High self-esteem was found to reduce depression and increase happiness. “[It was] argued that negative thoughts or values negatively affected psychological stability because they caused individuals to view serious events negatively and pessimistically.” This was because those with low self-esteem judged themselves negatively. The lack of confidence in other areas of life influenced how well they thrived.

Another study, published from Texas State University, by Brittany M. Hill, S.M. Ogletree, and K.M. McCrary focused on Body Modifications in College Students: Considering Gender, Self-Esteem, Body Appreciation, and Reasons for Tattoos. 

The research pointed to tattoos becoming an outlet to confidence. “The data they collected stated that 46% of the men and 50% of the women indicated that “because they look good” was a reason they obtained a tattoo.”

In the study conducted, women compared to men, were lower in body appreciation and self-esteem, along with a need for uniqueness.

Changing our exterior appearances with tattoos, fake eyelashes, and material things such as clothes or shoes lead us to believe that we “look better”. The things we do to our outward appearances help us to feel better about who we are. If we feel good about what we look like outside, confidence shouldn’t be far off, right?

http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pbh&AN=120165507&site=ehost-live

http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=eric&AN=EJ1104223&site=ehost-live

CC BY-SA 4.0 What Effects Confidence? by Malia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Melaina 5 months ago

Malia, this is a great post! I really believe that confidence and self- esteem are two very important things to be successful life. How you handle life situations (positively or negatively) really changes depending on how you see yourself. From a young age my dad pushed me to have “positive self talk”. This has really helped me through sports and other times where I could be down, but I choose to remain positive. Overall I really had my eyes opened with the tattoo part I had never thought of that and I think this was a great post.

2. Rylan 5 months ago

Hey Malia,
    Nice post! Being confident and having a healthy self esteem is super important. Thinking about it also raises the point that the way we treat others is super important. I enjoyed your post!

Rylan Rawson

3. Adam 6 months ago

Malia,
    I was very interested in this topic when I saw the title, and I agree that confidence affects our entire outlook on life. I have believed for a while that confidence is arguably the most important aspect of ourselves, as it can change everything in our lives. I also agree on the point that our childhood affects our confidence, because my parents allowed me to be myself and be myself, and that has been everything. In regards to the materialistic aspect, I am apprehensive. I believe there may be some correlation between the two, but I have found that I feel just as good in pajamas as I do in a suit. I think that confidence is almost entirely about outlook and self-esteem that comes from within, not so much from outside. Overall, great work with this post!

4. Jason 6 months ago

Malia, I found it fascinating how much a person’s mood can change after a few small changes to their appearance. But I personally don’t think it’s healthy to modify yourself with piercings or implants. I’m not saying its physically unhealthy, just mentally. If you can learn to love yourself the way you are, I think you’d be much happier than if you love yourself because you spent money on a new tattoo or implant.

5. Kaha 6 months ago

This is an interesting topic. I truly didn’t know the reason people got tattoos was to look entirely good or feel confident. I thought it was just for the appearance, i don’t know, but that’s interesting. I also agree that your confidence depends on how much support you get from your parents, peers and the people around you.

6. Kenzie 6 months ago

I found this really interesting, its really cool to know how people’s motivation and success derives heavily from their confidence levels.

7. Marcus 6 months ago

Greetings Maila,

I strongly agree that what has happened back in our childhood affects our confidence levels as other relevant things. Plus I agree that I have the need to look good to feel good, since I care about how I will appear to the others.
    Also confidence made me have my two tattoos, and I eventually will get 3 more and maybe a nose piercing. MY body, my life , my rules.

Marcus

8. Andre 6 months ago

I agree that our childhood affects our confidence greatly, I had a good childhood and I think that helped my confidence a lot. I also agree with your statement of look good feel good because when i wear a suit i feel a lot better then when i’m wearing my normal clothes.

9. Vail 6 months ago

I agree that our childhood experiences have a major impact on our confidence. And I also find it true that I have to look good to feel good.

10. Autumn 6 months ago

Hi Malia,
    I found this article very interesting as I personally don’t have a lot of self confidence. I was bullied at a young age which I believe has affected me greatly. I find it funny how true it is that just wearing materialistic things can make us feel so much more confident. I personally see myself have stronger days of confidence when I dress up for school then just wearing a sweatshirt.

11. Jay 6 months ago

Dear Malia,
    I am intrigued by your post “What Affects Confidence” because confidence is an important aspect of life and explaining what affects confidence can help you raise your self-esteem
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Your happiness, compassion, and drive to do your best is greatly influenced by how Confident you really are.” I think this is important because if these positive aspects of life depend on confidence, if you have no confidence, then your life will not have these positive aspects, which shows why confidence is so important
    Another sentence that I found interesting was “High self-esteem was found to reduce depression and increase happiness.” This stood out to me because it shows that self-esteem relates to confidence. Happiness, a postive aspect of life, depends on both self-esteem and confidence which shows that self-esteem and confidence are similar as they both affect the positive aspects of life.
    I don’t agree with you that if you look good outside, you’ll feel good inside because some people may look perfect, but inside, they may be evil or weak. Another reason I disagree with you is because you shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover just as you judge a human, one may look perfectly good outside, but they maybe evil.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you gave a lot of factual evidence to support your claim and came up with a good topic.

12. Aarush 6 months ago

I agree with this as confidence really is your motivation. Without confidence you believe you have the power to do nothing. You feel like your not worthy an this brings you into a negative state which can harm you. This is a very helpful article because it brings the people who are negatively charged to get a positively charged person into them.

13. Krista 6 months ago

Dear Malia,

I am intrigued by your post because it made em think deeper into the true meaning of this word “confidence”. You gave great confidence study examples to show how others empower themselves and try to build up their own confidence.
    One thing you said that stands out for me is: “If we feel good about what we look like outside, confidence shouldn’t be far off, right?” I think this is a very good question to end on because it would force the reader to truly reflect on themselves and the way they act towards themselves. This question would also get people to also try to change themselves to become better and more accepting of themselves.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was at the mall with my mom, and she wanted a new shirt for work. She already had shirts at home, so I asked her why she needed another one. She said something along the lines of “I feel too normal with the ones I have at home”. This post made me think of that time because she was implying that she wanted to stand out and gain confidence from looking different from others.
    Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like to hear about more studies that have been conducted to gain insight on self-esteem/confidence because they make me reflect on the error of my ways and they motivate me to be an overall happier and better person.