How has the football offense changed over time?

In John Maxymuk’s book, Football Revolution: The Rise of the Spread Offense and How It Transformed College Football, found on Ebsco, he highlights the takeover of the spread offense in college football, starting in the early 2000’s. He also examines the origins of the offense itself and pinpoints it high school football in Washington State in the 1940’s, not Dutch Meyer, TCU head coach in the 1930’s, claiming that the Meyer’s spread offense is too dissimilar to today’s style. It seems to me that a lot of offensive trends originate within the lower echelons of football (i.e. junior high, high school), just like the wishbone offense as well.

Another article I found on Ebsco was Converting Your QB Into a Running Back by Keith Brophy. Brophy emphasizes the great advantages of having a quarterback that can not only pass the ball, but run it too. He included all the different ways offenses employ their QBs as running backs, including Options, Sneaks, Draws, and Bootlegs. The basis of his argument for a more mobile quarterback is that typical;y the QB is the most skilled player on the field, and should therefore run the ball often. He also gives examples of the some of the best running QBs to ever play the game, including a front page picture of Michael Vick.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Art of the Offense Pt. 3 by Jack is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.