I found two interesting articles using Pioneer Research Database have intrigued me further in my inquiry question and coming up with a final argument.  The first article that I read was titled  Making a terrorist on the streets of Brussels, and this article was about the Muslim situation in Europe, specifically in Belgium. The article focused on two terrorists who go by the name Khalid el-Bakraoui and his brother Ibrahim and how the Belgian law has been merciful on them. In 2009, “Khalid el-Bakraoui was arrested for four carjackings and a robbery in which he and some friends kidnapped a bank employee at the point of a Kalashnikov assault rifle and forced her to deactivate an alarm, netting themselves $60,000. By 2013, he was back on the streets of Brussels.”  His older brother, Ibrahim was sentenced to nine years in jail in August 2010 after opening  fire on police with an AK-47 during the hold-up of a downtown Western Union branch, wounding an officer in the leg. Four years later, in October 2014 and then he was  was released on parole with the conditions that he couldn’t leave the country for a month.

ISIS targets  poor Muslims living in poor Belgian neighborhoods, where  28 percent of the people are unemployed,  and provides them with a sense of identity through Jihad. Christina Schori Liang, a senior fellow with the Geneva Centre for Security Policy in Switzerland says that “ ISIS behaves more like a high-tech start-up than a terrorist organization, offering a strong brand identity, customizing its message for each market, and recruiting via incentives like good pay, free homes and health care, even romantic partners.  I found  this article useful in the sense that it gives me contextual examples of Muslim and Western interactions and experiences.

The second source I read was an Academic Journal written by a Muslim named Imam Feisal A. Rauf. The article discussed the relationship between Muslims living in America and Americans. He discusses the rifts and underlying motives between Muslims and Americans. In the journal it is written that “ The problems between the United States and the Muslim world have nothing to do with American values or American business. These problems are too often oversimplified, but, if we analyze and sort them, we find that they fall into several identifiable categories: political economic/socioeconomic, identity, theological/belief, and perception.”  Rauf says that  Muslim Americans want to see this relationship bettered. He believes that although Islamophobia is one of the factors that is deterring the relationship. There also other factors that are present such as geopolitical interests, economic interests, military interests, and Muslim personal faith views.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Muslims and Western Values by Lula is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.