We have recently researched a contemporary photographer, and I researched Phil Borges. Phil Borges was born in 1942 in the United States and is a social documentary photographer and filmmaker. He documents and photographs indigenous cultures to show the hardships they face as well as their everyday life. He has published several bestselling books and currently has many solo or permanent exhibits.

His technique includes having a black and white background with the subject in color or muted color. The subjects are so separated from their background, the backgrounds appear to be photoshopped in, but only with a fairly shallow depth of field in most of the photos. He explains how he has the subject make direct eye contact or a side profile in most of his portraits. In his blog, he goes into detail about how he uses portable lighting and cameras due to the terrain and weather conditions he photographs in.

His goal in taking these portraits is “striving to create an understanding of the challenges they face” and looking at these photos, you can see his accomplishment in this. With his photos, you can see an entirely different world than what many of us know.

Learn more about Phil Borges here

CC BY-SA 4.0 Photographer Phil Borges by Maddie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kenzie 7 months ago

I love how deep photography can get and how many underlining messages there are in each photo, so I find this really interesting on how he used such minor changes in his pictures to make a bolder statement.

2. Luca 8 months ago

Hello Maddie,

I find you article very interesting about Phil Borges. His style of photography is very interesting. It seems very unique and impressive art style. It is impressive the extend at which you can take photography so well and use cameras to create these interesting effects with the background and foreground.

3. Krista 8 months ago

Dear Maddie,

I am intrigued by your post because it was able to concisely tell the tale and ambitions of this photographer. He had a purpose when photographing: to shed light on those less fortunate then ourselves.
    One thing you said that stands out to me is, “He documents and photographs indigenous cultures to show the hardships they face as well as their everyday life.” I think this is inspiring because it opens up our thinking and enlightens us on problems that others who are less fortunate than us are facing. It also says that this photographer is trying to show us the other side of life for other people.
    Another thing that you said that stood out to me is, “His goal in taking these portraits is ‘striving to create an understanding of the challenges they face…'” I think this is nice because it shows that people, such as Phil Borges, are trying to educate us on what else is happening that we ourselves can’t see or do not experience.
    Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I feel that it will be just as interesting as this one. I think it will also have just as interesting ideas as this one did.