I recently have embarked into the research world using various databases to find facts about the Early Christian Church worship and how it has changed. I have primarily seen a lot about the Greco-Roman influence on the Early Christian Church. There was always the influence of the other theologies around that time which was mainly Paganism which had been around for so long. Cole Dan wrote about this in his article  “Into the Heart of Paganism“.  Another like it is “Into the Heart of Paganism” by Hinson Glenn which speaks of how converting Pagans to Christianity came with a cost of conforming even pagan rituals or resemblance into Christian tradition. It may seem like I am focusing on this subject a lot, but the Pagan influence has become big factor for many of the contemporary Christian traditions now.  Glenn expounds on how Sunday worship came into the church  and how Emperor Constantine (a pagan convert to Christianity) also even declared the day of rest on Sunday. Many call this the Blue Law now and it is what many Catholics, Protestants, and other Christian sects call the “Lord’s Day”. Also many holidays  came from pagan influence including Halloween, Christmas, and Easter.

Through my research, I also saw the history of early consideration of heresy including Gnosticism and Arianism described in “Heresy of the Christian Church”. This even includes many things we would now consider normal or practical such as Mary being called the “Theotokos”.

CC BY-SA 4.0 How do Early Christian teachings differ from Modern Christianity? by Adrian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Gina Moss 3 years ago

This is really interesting to me because I’m always curious why people think the way they think. After reading your post, I want to look up the two authors you cited and read their articles. You also made me curious to find out more about Gnosticism and Arianism.